• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

17x7 Mopar Steelies 255/75 JK Rubicon BFGs

I daily mine. But I also have a TomTom in the corner of the dash that powers on when I start the car. I look at that when I need an accurate speed measurement (speed cameras).

Quick question: Are any of the pictured daily drivers? If so, what do you use to compensate for the difference in reading on the speedo? BTW, those steelies look boss, my jeep just more depressed the more I see on here.
I know mine reads within reason up to about 55, at which point 55 means I am actually doing ~63, 65 means I am doing 76, 75 means I am doing 88, and 85 means 103. Checked it using a GPS unit and now... well... I might put a new speedo gear in it sometime, but I'm considering regearing so I refuse to drop 30 bucks on a gear before I decide.

Loved the look of the Magnum steelies so I grabbed a set for my dd (sprayed with rustoleum hammered gunmetal grey) and slapped a set of 225/65R17 Michelins on... I know I know they aren't 255/75R17s but they will get me to work on time and thats what counts. Also I need to pick up a set of the center caps, so far they have eluded me.

edJ3C.jpg

Jeeps really look great guys, just wanted to let you know you inspired me, maybe one day mine will finally grow up!

Seriously, the only thing I need to know is where to source these rims from. Where did you guys grab your rims at? What was your costs? And can anyone recommend a good lift kit? I am thinking 3.5-4"

Seriously, the only thing I need to know is where to source these rims from. Where did you guys grab your rims at? What was your costs? And can anyone recommend a good lift kit? I am thinking 3.5-4"

I grabbed mine from good ol' craigslist picked them up from a guy in Cincinnati for $50 for the set. Local JY wants $60 a wheel so I think I got a score. My brother just got a sweet deal on a set with tires.

Just search for either magnum/300/charger/challenger wheels and I'm sure you'll find a good deal. The only bummer is you usually get a set of hubcaps you don't want...

These things don't usually sell fast so even if someone wants more than you want to spend talk them down I'm sure they've been collecting dust in someones garage.

Loved the look of the Magnum steelies so I grabbed a set for my dd (sprayed with rustoleum hammered gunmetal grey) and slapped a set of 225/65R17 Michelins on... I know I know they aren't 255/75R17s but they will get me to work on time and thats what counts. Also I need to pick up a set of the center caps, so far they have eluded me.

edJ3C.jpg

Jeeps really look great guys, just wanted to let you know you inspired me, maybe one day mine will finally grow up!

Cool man, how's that tire size work out stock? Looks like it's pretty close to the 28" tall stock tire size.
Never thought this would catch on, haha, thought I'd be outcast for putting "big wheels" on...

On wheel cost:
Mine were $20 for (2) and the other (4) were $25 each. $120 total for 6 wheels. From a craigslist deal, and a junkyard where any steel wheel is $25. Yes I have 2 spares.

Spacers:
I tried the 1.25" spacers up front, it rubs, and sticks out too much. It tucks better without them off camber. They do help the look of the rear, I couldn't get them to rub either way, but can easily be run without them.

Just for the sake of the thread, here's the BFG KM1's and magnums on a LJ. No spacers. 1.1" H&R spring kit.

LJosh.jpg

Cool man, how's that tire size work out stock? Looks like it's pretty close to the 28" tall stock tire size.
Never thought this would catch on, haha, thought I'd be outcast for putting "big wheels" on...

On wheel cost:
Mine were $20 for (2) and the other (4) were $25 each. $120 total for 6 wheels. From a craigslist deal, and a junkyard where any steel wheel is $25. Yes I have 2 spares.

Spacers:
I tried the 1.25" spacers up front, it rubs, and sticks out too much. It tucks better without them off camber. They do help the look of the rear, I couldn't get them to rub either way, but can easily be run without them.

Just for the sake of the thread, here's the BFG KM1's and magnums on a LJ. No spacers. 1.1" H&R spring kit.

LJosh.jpg

They fit great and are just a tad shorter than the 235/75R15s they replaced, after some Maths the 225/65R17 works out to 28.5" tall. I haven't yet verified my speeds with GPS but seems to be the same as before. I have absolutely no rubbing and no spacers.

Maalox, I added 1.25" spacers to the rear just this morning, I have them for the front too, not sure if I'll use them though.

The Bushwacker flares do add quite a bit of coverage, especially in the front, so I ended up using them all around. The track looked really narrow without them.

On wheel cost:

Spacers:

LJosh.jpg

looks like it should be a mil jeep.

Bringing this back from the dead because they are so cool. I'll be doing this for my 2006 LJ once the 34x10.5R17s come out for the new BFG KO2.

Back