• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roof rack build for my daily

calenatar

NAXJA Forum User
Decided a while back that I wanted a roof rack for my daily driver. Wanted to get my spare out of the inside to free up some space, and have a bit of added cargo options. I bought 3 24' lengths of 3/4" 11 gauge wall square tubing and went at it. I knew I wanted a light on the front of it, and eventually I want to add a floor to it. it's 50"x 80" x 5" and as you can see takes up the entire roof. some of them I've seen are only half or 3/4 racks, but I wanted the whole roof. Built my spare holder right into it.

initial layout
2qimver.jpg

top, bottom, and most of the side supports
k56flx.jpg

C Channel for the mounts
210lp5f.jpg

test fitting, and getting ready to weld on the light brackets
2a7wron.jpg

Sat up on the roof for a test fit before primer/paint
wwfbl0.jpg

tapped the legs for the rail mounts
9pnn8n.jpg

cleaned all the oils off, ready for primer
ne9s7r.jpg

primer, sorry for the crap quality.
2uzympx.jpg

couple coats of black
iwlxlz.jpg

ready to mount, getting it spaced right
xohbth.jpg

Spare up there
2mmd1kh.jpg

Side view
ou2xso.jpg

mounted, and using it that night already
o0nwci.jpg

lights wired up
2jdnvd1.jpg

all in all, between a roll of wire, steel, primer, paint, light bar and relays, I'm under $200 in it. took more time than anything getting all the little support posts in. overall, considering its the first rack i've ever made I'm pretty happy with it. what are your guy's thoughts?

I like the simplicity. Does it catch much wind on the highway?

Back