• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 4.0 w/distributor swap for a 99 4.0 w/coil pack

Blinkey

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there......I currently have a 1998 / 4.0 / with distributor / command trak 4wd With a bad motor. Manuf. 3/98 not sure of tranny or t-case model

I found a 1998 / 4.0 / with coil pack / 242J transfer case / 30 – 43LE transmission. on the ID tag it shows 5300 painted in green & 7998 stamped, which I believe is a manuf. date of 9/98. They all have 68000 miles on them. $700 for all of the above..It was a total from hitting a deer.

1) Is it possible to use the coil pack motor with my existing tranny?
2) Is it possible to use the new coil pack motor and the new 30-43LE transmission and the 242J transfer case?

What would be required either way

What would be the best option?

Thanks........

The "coil-on-rail" didn't come out till 2000?

Coil on plug distributor-less ignition was not used until the 2000 model year.

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange. Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, throttle body, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, transmission, transfer case, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

Coil on plug distributor-less ignition was not used until the 2000 model year.

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange. Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, throttle body, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, transmission, transfer case, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

This is what I would do.

Back