• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stainless brake tubing(for hard lines)?

wacho4

NAXJA Forum User
While looking at something else under my jeep I realized one of the hard brake lines is slightly dented/smashed. I decided I should replace all my brake lines as they all look kind of corroded.
Well what about stainless tubing? I know they sell stainless kits for certain vehicles, but I haven't found any for the xj. And none of the universal-bend it yourself kits seem to be stainless.
Is there a reason for this besides low demand and high costs?
Has anybody found any for the xj or universal type with satianless tubing?

A search on ebay turned up this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-4-...tegoryZ33562QQihZ011QQitemZ320084997773QQrdZ1 .
He says it is 1/4 " 316 grade stainless tubing, anything wrong with using this.

Just wondering. And yes I searched on here. But also very tired, long-term lack of sleep, so I may be missing something very obvious.

About 6 months ago I had stainless brake hardlines install on my 87 2 door. I don't have the receipt in front of me, but I am 95% sure it was SSBC.

I had to send them my old brake lines because they did not have a sample to model and build new ones. It was about a six week turnaround.

"SUPPOSEDLY", they were going to keep mine as a sample.

All that being said, my mechanic said it was a good thing the motor and tranny was out because he can't see how new brake lines could be installed otherwise.

Hope this info is usefull to you.

Yeah, thanks. I was thinking of a while for vehicle downtime while I bent or had someone bend lines, but 6 weeks ... wow. And I didn't know a big company like that would custom build a set, I couldn't even get a local mechanic to bend their own lines , of course I only called 3.

gjxj said:
Are you saying you found brake tubing kits that are not stainless?

anyway google comes up with this:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/sku/ed694740.html

Are these the 'hard lines' or the flexible lines going to the axle/ brake cylinders? There are many stainless lines to replace the rubber ones on the xj. But I can't find any stainless hard lines from any any the manufacturers that commonly sell these as kits. Most of these are made for sports cars and the like. I'm sure someone out there makes these for an xj. I still have to check out SSBC.
3 local mechanics won't bend brake lines for me at all (stainless or not). They responses vary but all were like "there is a brake line out there made for every vehicle, so it is no longer worth the effort to bend our own". However they were not willing to find me stainless lines for my XJ. A-holes. One of these mechanics actually did this for me in the past when I swapped a heavier axle into my 77 van, but with regular steel lines. Even he won't do it.
I know it wouldn't take much to do it myself, but I've never done this before. And stainless tubing(if I can find the right stuf to use) is too expensive to mess up on. Well maybe not really, I guess I should look into the price more before I say that.

Is there a reason for this besides low demand and high costs?
All that and special tooling required to flair the lines.
SSBC has full SS univeral sets, no hard line though, it's just to tough to flair using the required double flair.

Now, Stainless is tough enough you don't need the double flair, but the law requires it.

Thats why your Mechanic dare not do it for you.

Last edited:
Back