• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2nd battery on driverside ?

NOS/86

NAXJA Forum User
anyone mounted a 2nd battery where the stock airbox is located ... i'm thinking of doing this , looks like they'll be room for a stock battery tray to fit .

You'll want to look for a Diesel battery tray. Since Diesels usually have two 12-volt batteries, and the XJ usually had them in both front corners, that will fit the second battery neatly.

Or, you could just decide to relocate your batteries to somewhere aft of the rear seat, and put all you want back there (I'm planning on putting three back there - one starting and two deep-cycle/marine batteries.)

5-90

tigerShark said:
I beleive Rusty's offers a kit.

I saw on Rusty's that you can run 1 if you run their standard cone filter, not there huge 6 x 9" K&N.

Troy

Battery tray 55174970
Bolts 55014375
Bracket 55011012
Part numbers for factory parts. I have them in my '98 works fine.

I have a Diesel battery tray, and an extra cone filter and mount. I was going to run a setup like MadXJ has on his website, but ran into problems because I have a '99. It turns out they moved some stuff around since the '96, and the computer gets in the way. I didn't want to do the fabbing so I gave up.

This will work for you if you have a '96 or older, or possibly with a newer XJ but fabbing will have to be done, including moving the computer.

I was going to put all of it up on Ebay, but I havn't had the time. PM if you are interested.

I´ve used an enclosure for my air filter becuase it´s connected to an snorkel. So there´s enough place for an 55Ah Optima for which a custom bracket will be build (like for the 74Ah Optima in the stock location).

luftfilter.jpg

BlueGerbil said:
I´ve used an enclosure for my air filter becuase it´s connected to an snorkel. So there´s enough place for an 55Ah Optima for which a custom bracket will be build (like for the 74Ah Optima in the stock location).

luftfilter.jpg

i was looking into turning the battery at a angle like the stocker on the passager side . and moving the little things in the way .

I am running a Mean Green dual battery set up. It works really well and the kit comes with a new cone filter. It's made for an Optima type batter because it lays it on it's side.

I did this mod (diesel tray) on my '98, and now I almost wish I'd have moved them to the rear. With a large front bumper (c4x4) and a winch (warn x8000i), there's a lot of weight on the front end, and switching over a hundred pounds to the rear would help with weight distribution. You can also then set up a nice positive and negative bus in the back and keep your engine compartment cleaner. The only problem is running the large cables needed to avoid voltage drop on heavy draw components, like the winch and starter.

Here you go. This is an older photo, but the basic wiring and overall setup hasn't changed. The battery tray as well as all wiring was fabbed up.

Pict0093%20sm.jpg

Hope this helps,
Kent :)

bajacalal said:
WTF? Off topic but where did you get that upper radiator hose? The one I've got on my 95 XJ with A/C doesn't go all the way back and around. Any special reason for it?

To my knowledge that's stock. I believe I've replaced it once, with the old tube having the same configuration.

Kent :)

noresttill said:
Isn't it dangerous to put a battery in the back?? aren't there fumes and stuff??
The Optimas are a sealed battery, and that's what I run, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Still off topic- try the hose for '87-90 Xj 4.0 w/ A/C.

jephs422 said:
I am running a Mean Green dual battery set up. It works really well and the kit comes with a new cone filter. It's made for an Optima type batter because it lays it on it's side.
Aren't the Mean Green kits for TJs? I don't think there's enough room to stack two optimas on their sides in our xj. Is yours in an xj?

Kyung

Last edited:
Back