• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Shocks: Monroe 37186, Gabriel 82038

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
So I finally decided to put decent shocks on my XJ. Put 7100's on order and found out its going take something like 3 months to get them.....so I am going to have to put in another set of cheap shocks while I wait and wait and wait.

While reading up on the 7100's I saw lots of posts on "what is a cheap shock I can use". Here is what I had been using up front:

Front Application for the cheap shocks (been running them for about 10 years) is a 61-64 Ford F-100. Stud-Stud mount. 14" compressed, 24.5 extended. You need to make an adapter plate for the lower mount, a plate with 3 holes, one for each of the bar pin holes and one for the shock.

Monroe PN 37185
Gabriel PN 82038

These are meant for a MUCH heavier vehicle and they are stiff. OK for slow, not so good for fast. The plus is that they are long travel and they are CHEAP at $25 each. The Gabriels are gas charged, Monroes are not, they dont offer the gas charged in that size anymore.

John

Back