• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 xj charging system/ ignition

NixonsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 01 cherokee limited, I haven't been driving recently, with an issue I have to diag before I move.
The battery was dead the other day and I assumed it was my old lady who left the face plate plugged in when I had her move it.
Now we get to the real issue. Today I wanted to drive it to the store. Cool. Should have kept a charge from the last time I started. (4 days ago)
Go to start it and no juice.
So I jump it. Idling around 2-500 rpms.
Battery Guage is sitting around 10-11 volts until you give it gas and it jumps to around 14.
Is this an ignition issue?
Is this caused by a bad alternator?
Or is it simply a bad battery?
I just don't think a bad battery would cause me to idle around 200 rpms then die.
Any advice or help would be appreciated. Pretty new to this site, so hello folks ✌

If you let the battery run down, the engine computer/PCM will re-boot and delete the idle setting. Expect difficulty starting, low idle, and stalling, until the PCM re-learns idle settings. If the symptoms persist after the battery is fully charged, testing would be advised. Full alternator output or 13.8 - 14.4 volts is not reached until about +1800 rpms.

If the volts are 10-11, it could be brushes in the alternator are worn out. If you hit the alternator you may find the volts come back up. The brushes can be replaced if you can find the parts.

Battery can also be the problem. They can short out internally which leads to dead batteries. In some cases, I have see them so bad that you cannot jump the car with the battery connected and the gauge reads like 20V if you hook it back up once started.

If the volts are 10-11, it could be brushes in the alternator are worn out. If you hit the alternator you may find the volts come back up. The brushes can be replaced if you can find the parts.

Battery can also be the problem. They can short out internally which leads to dead batteries. In some cases, I have see them so bad that you cannot jump the car with the battery connected and the gauge reads like 20V if you hook it back up once started.

Battery Guage is sitting around 10-11 volts until you give it gas and it jumps to around 14.This is because the battery will not take a charge.You need a battery and you can have a free check at auto parts

Battery Guage is sitting around 10-11 volts until you give it gas and it jumps to around 14.This is because the battery will not take a charge.You need a battery and you can have a free check at auto parts

Have seen worn out alternator brushes do the same. Whack the alternator or give it gas and the volts come up.

Back