• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ ticking when cold

lazyxj

NAXJA Member #1310
My 2001 XJ's 4.0 engine, over the last year or two, had developed a tick that was present when cold and mostly went away when warm. Lately, I could still slightly hear it when the engine was hot.
Originally, I had thought is was a bad lifter but, after using a mechanic's stereoscope, the noise was narrowed down to the bottom of the engine, right in the middle, near the oil pump drive.
Didn't find much searching here but on a Wrangler forum, found a thread about later model TJs, with 4.0s, having a TSB, dealing with noise and wear problems with the cam synchronizer drive.
I pulled the cam synchronizer and found both the drive gear and the oil pump drive oil pin had noticeable wear.
I ordered a new cam synchronizer and it cured the problem, no more ticking.
The new synchronizer is lacking the "toothpick" hole but it does come with a plastic tool that holds the synchronizer is the right position, when replacing.
I took a photo of the synchronizer, before removing the original, to insure it was reinstalled in the correct position.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IY3IK...keywords=Dorman+689-200+Camshaft+Synchronizer

I had a ticking noise and repaired it late last month. I too thought it was a lifter but when I was driving over Christmas, I could hear the tick on the interstate. I put my finger on the cam sensor and feel the tick. When I pulled the synchronizer the drive gear had very little wear on it but the bushings were worn same as would occur on a 4.0 distributor model. I replaced it with one from Auto Zone. They had both the Durlast (Dorman) and also a Duralast Gold for $10 more. The Duralast Gold was made in Taiwan. Where was the Dorman made?

dumb question, whats ticks with the distributor?
It's a 2001, there isn't a distributor, instead, it uses a coil rail. 1999 and older XJs have traditional distributors.
The parts that can tick are present in both the distributor drive and cam synchronizer assembles, so this applies to a wide range of years.

Two spots in the cam synchronizer/distributor that can tick, the oil pump drive pin and the drive gear that meshes with the gear, on the cam.
Both spots on the 2001's synchronizer showed noticeable wear.

A handy tool to help locate this problem is a mechanic's stethoscope.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B0002SQYSM

4.0s sure have a lot of things that can tick and even more places where the oil can escape.

Two spots in the cam synchronizer/distributor that can tick, the oil pump drive pin and the drive gear that meshes with the gear, on the cam.

I'd say a third location that can tick is worn bushings allowing the shaft to move around. Where was your Dorman unit made?

I'd say a third location that can tick is worn bushings allowing the shaft to move around. Where was your Dorman unit made?
Good point, in this case,both the old and new synchronizer's bushings are tight.
The new synchronizer fit snuggly and the ticking is gone, I'm happy.
Not sure which wear point was the cause of the ticking, maybe both.

The Dorman synchronizer is an OEM looking piece. It was made in a little village in China.

Last edited:
This is good to hear. I have all kinds of ticks and rattles on my '01 XJ so perhaps this is something that's worn out on mine as well. I have 162K miles so anything's possible... :)

Using the stethoscope does one just place it near the timing/synchronizer and then listen for ticking? I have that tool but never thought to check that on my 01.

ossible... :)

Using the stethoscope does one just place it near the timing/synchronizer and then listen for ticking?
The noise appears to come from the area where the cam gear meshes with the synchronizer's gear and the oil pump drive.
Without locating where the noise comes from, the noise could be mistaken as a bad lifter or burnt valve.

Back