• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switching fuel pressure regulator from tank to rail?

As an owner of a 96 model, I have followed this thread. For myself....I laid in a supply of fuel pump assemblies years ago when I found the 96 was a one off assembly.
Still on OEM pressure regulator at 390,000 miles...fuel pumps are a different story.

If you have a supply of those is there any chance you could post up pics of the OEM regulator? Are any part numbers visible on any of them?

Beware that the OEM regulator is for a different pressure and varies depending on vacuum.

I got a 49 psi regulator from Autozone for my '96 4.0, queried a 50 psi regulator (no make or model) on their website, only one came up, and it fit.

I got a 49 psi regulator from Autozone for my '96 4.0, queried a 50 psi regulator (no make or model) on their website, only one came up, and it fit.

Do you still have the box (part number), the manufacturer etc? That is one part number I'd like to have. My parts place is pretty darned good, they have gotten me everything I've ever wanted with a part number.

Sorry it took so long...

Here's the scoop from NAPA:

Part Number: CRB 219618
Product Line: Echlin Fuel System
Attributes:
Fuel Pressure Regulator Pressure Rating : 49 psi

It works fine(in tank) on my '96 XJ Sport

Sorry it took so long...

Attributes:

Thank you.

If you have a supply of those is there any chance you could post up pics of the OEM regulator? Are any part numbers visible on any of them?

I have 3 stock un-molested fuel pump assm, on one unit there is NO part # on the FPR. The other 2 have this # 4669239 with suffix 2496 F2 on one unit and suffix 1496 L1 on the other.The 2 numbered units also have Chry pentestar (sp)
And by un-molested,these units still have factory fuel pumps and strainers and clamps on hoses.

I have 3 stock un-molested fuel pump assm, on one unit there is NO part # on the FPR. The other 2 have this # 4669239 with suffix 2496 F2 on one unit and suffix 1496 L1 on the other.The 2 numbered units also have Chry pentestar (sp)
And by un-molested,these units still have factory fuel pumps and strainers and clamps on hoses.

Awesome.

And thank you for the follow up.

Looking up the numbers Wayne posted I came across this post:

Corrections on my last post.
The NP210 regulator does not work. The jeep runs with it installed but still is flashing the P 0171 code. Further research showed it has a 35 psi working pressure, not the 49.2 psi needed.

Searched NAPA's website and they have a 50 psi working pressure fuel pressure regulator
NAPA Echlin Part Number: 2-19681

Will install it tomorrow morning and will report on results then.

From here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1100720&page=2

Which is remarkably close to this, but with the 1 and the 8 transposed. I am guessing one of these is wrong.

Sorry it took so long...

Attributes:

Any chance we could get confirmation on one or the other?

219618 is the proper number, looked it up on the napa site today

I bought one of those Rockauto FPRs for my 96. It is a little donut shaped thingi about 1 1/2 in diameter. It goes in the topo of the plastic cylinder above the fuel pump. This is one really tricky install to do without breaking the little plastic ears that hold it in place. I cut six little wooden ( hardwood ) skinny popsicle sticks to leverage the plastic ears gently out of the way. Managed to get it done without breaking any but that I suspect was as much luck as skill :laugh:. new FPR did bring pressure up to 50 and it stays there. Didn't solve my stumble though.

I know this is an old thread but I have a 96 that may need a fuel pump. It still runs but takes a few long cranks to prime. Once it starts it seems to be ok. After shut down the fuel pressure bleeds of in less then 1 minute. When running fuel pressure is 49. Does the pump have an anti bleed valve to prevent pressure lose?

Someone before me installed a check valve to prevent this in the fuel line which resulted in blowing the fuel lines at the filter and 2 soft lines up front on 3 different times. Very frustrating.

Any help would be appreciated with this problem.

Thanks
Mike

Recently checked E-Bay and found Crown supplied fuel pump assemblies.These may be what your looking for,I laid in a supply of used stock assemblies years ago when I found out they were a one year only part.

I know this is an old thread but I have a 96 that may need a fuel pump. It still runs but takes a few long cranks to prime. Once it starts it seems to be ok. After shut down the fuel pressure bleeds of in less then 1 minute. When running fuel pressure is 49. Does the pump have an anti bleed valve to prevent pressure lose?

Someone before me installed a check valve to prevent this in the fuel line which resulted in blowing the fuel lines at the filter and 2 soft lines up front on 3 different times. Very frustrating.

Any help would be appreciated with this problem.

Thanks
Mike

Your situation is the same as mine was before the pump finally gave up the ghost and died completely.

From what I have read both the pump and the FPR are supposed to incorporate check valves.

Your best bet is to replace both while you are in there.

There is a link earlier in this thread to a write-up I did on the subject. It might be worth your while to read through that. I recall someone had bad results with one attempt at a replacement FPR, but I don't recall off hand which one that was. I think I added that experience into the thread however. I am running a Crown FPR and it has been working just fine for several years now.

Back