• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door pins?

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. So my question today is regarding that pin in the drivers door that stops the door in certain places as it opens. Every Xj at over 170k inevitably has pins that click and clack as the door opens. I dont know what goes into replacing/repairing these but I am certain this means taking off the door panel and frankly those stupid plastic pins never hold the panel on right once you have taken it off once. So obviously you can see why I would rather not take the door panel off my barn find Xj. Is there any negative repercussion to ignoring the noise? I intend to drive this thing for decades more so we are definitely talking long term. Or is there any way this can be fixed without taking the door panel off?

I did grease the rods coming out of the door but no luck with that. I will try to shoot some spray in there without hitting the speaker though. Some sort of lubricant though rather than water displacement

I did grease the rods coming out of the door but no luck with that. I will try to shoot some spray in there without hitting the speaker though. Some sort of lubricant though rather than water displacement

Without hitting speaker? Maybe Im not sure what pins youre talking about then

Pretty sure you are talking about the door checks, brackets, and pins. And yes the door panel does need to be removed. Just did the driver's door in my '00 and am going to do the passenger side soon. Not that big a deal. If you use a door panel removal tool there is less of a chance of busting the plastic on the door panel. The plastic clips slide into sections on the door panel and can be bought at a Napa. The bolts on mine came out easy. The pin did too cause the hole was elongated on both the bracket and door check. Use a shoelace or mechanics wire to pull the door check through the door. When you get everything bolted up I found lining up the holes, sticking the pin in through the top, placing a shorter pry bar with the curve down, and giving a good tap to the shaft of the pry bar with a hammer will set the pin in.

Over time, the door checks will literally fall apart. My driver's door one was pretty bad, and no amount of grease would have fixed it....

Popping the door clips off is easy, without breaking them. Use 2 stiff putty knives. Slide one between the door panel and the door, just beside the clip. Slide the other putty knife on the other side, and draw them together on each side of the door clip. Slowly wiggle and lift both putty knives at the same time, to evenly remove the door clip from the door.

The door checks are sort of easy to replace, you just have to creatively snake them around the window assembly. Start to finish, about an hour per door....

The door check assembly bolts to the inside of the door. My experience has been that the sheet metal of the door itself fails and the assembly is only attached by one bolt...if at all. It's quite easily accessible by taking off the door panel (which is pretty easy) and removing the speaker. Then you can reach right in there and start fixing it. If the sh metal is in good shape, you're good.

So then you just extend the check arm and put the pin in there...or am I not getting where your problem is?

Can someone take a pic of wtf we're talking about?

9088d1260583780-fixing-door-check-frtdoorck.jpg

Back