• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has replaced a front frame rail before???

98XJROKS

NAXJA Forum User
First of all, I'm sorry for posting here. I tried to post in the advanced/body but was locked out.
So, Please forgive me!

After a week in the frame shop the rails, door etc are all back to the factory specs. The body shop wants $1500 to removed the old rail and put in the one new. I decided that since I have all the tools, so why not. Has anyone ever seen this done, or know of someone that can share some real world experiences with me?
The body shop says that it's a no brainer and told me that it's shouldn't be a problem for a home project?
I'd also like to hear all of your ideas and what you would do if it was yours

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

The above is all of the damage done by the frame pull in order to get it all back to factory spec.
This is the donor frame rail and inner fender....I'll be splicing it all in right where the inner frame support is in order to add strength.
IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

Yeah, they totaled it out. I bought it back to part out and I just couldn't bring myself to doing that, so i'm rebuilding it, as a rock crawler, with the intensions of still being to register it..

My wife hit a jersey barrier on the freeway at about 40mph

I dont care what the body shop said that is NOT a home project for most people. IMO. I do not know your abilities nobody but you know that so I cannot pass judgment but.... There is a reason the body shop's charge 1500.00 to replace it. Dont get me wrong it can be done but you will need some kind of frame machine to get it all back into specs. Also if I remember correctly you have to pull your motor, get the Jeep off the ground, remove the front axle (at least the drivers side), also make sure EVERY weld you remove goes back in or near the same place. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Other than that take your time and be carfull.

I can't even think of a body shop I'd trust to do that job, let alone think about attempting it at home!

Yikes!! The only way I'd even consider that would be to graft in a different truck's front frame assembly. Even then, you really need a solid, non-movable base to set it all up on. Otherwise, It would be a miracle to end up with a straight and level front, versus rear. I think some one :)dunno: ) grafted a Toyota front frame on. Saw a write-up some where. I don't think I'd attempt grafting on pieces from another Cherokee.

I have replace 100-150 front frame rails on unibody vehicles. It is EASY But not your average home project

The hard part for you is get it square before you weld.

I will get with you back channel. I am at work and don't have time to talk. I have to go put TWO new front frame sections on a 06 f150 :D

IMG_0101.jpg

Originally this is what I had in mind instead of replacing the rail. If I decide to replace the rail, i'll still do this.

I've done a lot of research and so far I've had two different opinions. Both body shops tell me that simply replacing the rail will keep it all factory and will be much safer because of the crush zones that are designed int he rails incase of a collision.

Once the rails are strengthened such as this one, the safety designs of the crush zones are no longer there. As off road enthusiests, we are simply looking for a way to strengthen the rails in order to keep it all together under stress. but, from a body mans point of view replacing the rail is the way to go.
I've beentold that all you would ned to do is once all the front end parts are out of the way, all you do is support that side of the engine witout removing it all. Althought, removing it all is an option.

I'm definitely taking my time and trying to get all the imput I can before I start taking it apart.

It's already been on the frame rack, so it's all back to factory specs and ready to go in any direction....

Last edited:
Two day's into the project and I've started to cut out most of the old rail. I've plasma cut all the old rail off and cut around the inner rail support and floor board. This will make it much easier to get to the spot welds.

In the pictures you can see the inner rail support that I will use to tie in the donor rail. The donor rail, if you look close, is still attached inside. The donor rail support will come out completely, in order for the donor rail to slip directly over the exhisting rail support. This will be sleeved and spot welded to the donor rail and the remainder will remain attached to the exhisting unibody.

IMG_1196-1.jpg

Old Rail cut out exposing the inner frame rail support.
IMG_1199.jpg

Donor Rail will later be cleaned up to fit the exhisting inner rail support.
IMG_1202.jpg

Inner rail supprt still needs to have spot welds cleaned to accept the donor rail
IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

The new donor rail will be spliced in behind or in front of the rock rail. The rail will be sleeved around the splice as well as the exhisting inner rail support in order to tie in the donor rail.
IMG_1203.jpg

Last edited:
double wow. I think I would've just made a tube buggy front, but I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

Its not as bad as it looks, Im a tech at a body shop and done several rails in jeeps and others. Its just time consumeing. Cherokee rails are easier than most. Pat on the back to you 98 for takeing it on. A few suggestions,
1. get a tram and makesure everything is square efore you start welding.
2. measure at least three or four time during welding, jeep rails like to move alot when the get heated up.
3. Try to build the rail as much as you can, mtr mounts and such, without a measureing system I would even invest in alot of self tapping screws and screw the apron and baffle together along with the upper and lower rad support before welding to make sure everything lines up.
4. Make sure your rail height at the front of the rail is dead on, if its even 1/4 inch off thing dont like to line up.
If you have any questions PM me. Kudos again!

gixxer410[/QUOTE said:
Kudos again!

Thanks, so far this has been easier than installing the long arm kit. I'm taking a little at a time but I'll keep posting as I make progress.

Alright, So I had some time to work on the project again this weekend and I feel like i'm starting to make some progress. The new donor frame rail and fender skirt are now set into place with sheet metal screws. The sheet metal screws will make sure all the body panels and the radiator support all line up before its welded together.
IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

wow dude, you got nads. I've watch dad do it before, but I'm not sure it is something I would tackle.

wow.

as stated, measure again and again before, during, and after welding to make sure it's straight.

I never even thought of replacing a rail on one...and dammit, now that I've seen it done, I think I'm eager to try it on my parts xj!

i've done it on my 97, replaced both front aprons and the entire front support. (it was a rebuilder), worked great for 50k miles untill i hit a tree, now i have to do it all over again, only this time bent both rails back, tweaked the front windshield pillar, broke the engine mount off the drivers side, broke the block, broke the head, blew the airbags. It's been sitting in the yard for the last two winters, but it will live again!!!!!!!!

I finally got around to starting to pull it apart because i needed the engine internals to repair the 89 xj that had a cracked head and was REAL tired. Now i just need to find a complete cowl cut to start on the 97.

Joel

raceready, I hope that jeep is sentimental to you or you just like to do that kind of work...cause an xj really isn't worth all that trouble. no offense meant, just an observation that it would be cheaper to buy one...

It was the Sound System for my wedding ceremony, so it's the backdrop for a bunch of my wedding pictures. We went to CO Springs for our honeymoon and wheeled in the mountains (first time ever wheeling) with it. so yeah, it's kinda sentimental. (but it might become a trail machine too).
plus I have all the body tools, and I can't afford to buy a new one, but i can afford to piece this one back together.

Joel

Last edited:
Back