• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HVAC ?

RyanM

NAXJA Forum User
My central air unit (in my Apt.) is a 'Sun Therm'. Last summer it was blowing cool, this time around it will not cool my place. Wanted to know if there is anything i can check before i call the land loard/maintence. Im not trying to wait 2 days to get my house cooled. Thermostat is set on ~65, actual temp. is about 80! TIA

I'm not in HVAC, but in the house we just moved out of, we had problems with the A/C 5 out of the 7 years we were there...and it was a brand new house.

I'm assuming a/c unit and blower are coming on, yet it's blowing warm air? As long as the blower is coming on, chances are you're low (our completely out) on freon, and the unit has probably frozen over. Go outside and look at the unit that goes to your apartment. Check the lines coming from the unit and going into the building. If the unit is sitting in the shade, it will probably have some ice on it. Tonight you'll really notice some ice on it if you leave it running (although I wouldn't, as your only making the power meter spin faster and not getting anything in return).

That's the problem we had 5 out of thr 7 years we were in our old house. Turns out our issue was the valves were not put on properly when the unit was installed, and slowly leaked out freon over the course of a year.

How old is the unit in your apartment?

Back