• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 XJ water outlet temp sensor question

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Nothing wrong, but....the temp sensor in the thermostat housing (95 XJ) monitors water temp before the thermostat (aka, the coolant flowing to the heater hoses) right?
Thanks!

Blaine B. said:
Nothing wrong, but....the temp sensor in the thermostat housing (95 XJ) monitors water temp before the thermostat (aka, the coolant flowing to the heater hoses) right?
Thanks!

No ,it moniters the temp on the flow out of the engine to the radiator.Thermostat would be closed on a cold engine,sensor would only see hot water after the stat opened.
Wayne

Ah, right. What was I thinking. It's on the housing, which is after the thermostat.......brain fart. Thanks!

Anybody know the temperature that the system engauges closed loop?

Looking in the FSM-- Have not found definite answer-yet- BUT-have heard from my friend, a ASE cert mech/shop owner, that closed loop starts at 150*.Seat of the pants observations in MY 96 XJ proves this out as I can hear/feel a change in the engine at that temp.
Also the FSM only checks the operating ohms of the temp sensor up to 120* (370-410) ohms resistance.
HTH
Wayne

Back