• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Event info?

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
Not local, have no idea where deer valley is and the only thing that comes up from google is park city UT, pheonix AZ, and Canada....i'm assuming its not one of those. :D

Map?? Campground info??

Thanks.

When will we know what trails we are running each day, and the minimum requirements? In the past years we have been fairly organized with breakdowns of each run and information, etc.

Im trying to tell my friends about this, but telling them that I dont know what/when we are running makes it challenging lol

I am not really involved this year but you can see write up from the trails mentioned they plan to run on my site. We ran them two years ago for SierraFest.

Not sure if I will make it up at all, new job/family stuff.

When will we know what trails we are running each day, and the minimum requirements? In the past years we have been fairly organized with breakdowns of each run and information, etc.

I know everyone is excited, but we still have 3 months until the run and details will be finalized well before then. But the trails are likely the same ones that we usually run: Deer Valley (if open), Slickrock, Corral Hollow, etc.

We're hoping to hear from the judge about the 42 route closure in Eldorado National Forest so that we know which trails are available. I talked to the Ranger's office last week and they were expecting to hear from the judge in early May; their best guess is that we find out in another 2 weeks or so.

Assume minimum requirements are the same as last year:

Safety Items:
a. Visibly charged fire extinguisher (BC or ABC)
b. First aid kit
c. Adequate spare tire, jack and lug wrench
d. Safety belts for driver and any current passenger
e. Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle:
- 1 Acceptable forms of attachment points: (All Items must be mounted in a manner to provide adequate strength and integrity)
- 2 Tow hooks of OEM or greater integrity
- 3 D-Rings
- 4 Shackle/Clevis
f. 20ft 10,000lb snatch strap without any metal hooks
g. Secured battery (no bungee cords)

Highly recommended:
3" of lift and 31" tires minimum
Rock sliders
Diff guards
Tcase skid

DO NOT FORGET A FIRST-AID KIT! as well as your common sense

X eleventybillion

A few years ago on Deer Valley, I ripped the back of my leg open on some barbed wire on the side of the trail. All I had was a mini first aid kit, which got the job done. But now I have a fairly large kit, and I actually have an extra if anyone would like to buy it.

not gunna have time or money for t case skid and diff covers butbi am for sure gunna have rock sliders will that be okay for all the trails? i have 3.5" lift and 32s

You can probably get away without a Tcase skid, though it is recommended (that being said, I don't have one unless I get off my duff and install it). I would call diff guards HIGHLY recommended for playing in the rocks, though not mandatory. One good ding, or one peel of the cover and your fluid is lost.

You can probably get away without a Tcase skid, though it is recommended (that being said, I don't have one unless I get off my duff and install it). I would call diff guards HIGHLY recommended for playing in the rocks, though not mandatory. One good ding, or one peel of the cover and your fluid is lost.

thanks for the reply. i will see if i can get some diff covers but i doubt it. ill just have to be extra careful and not do anything crazy

Thanks Weirdo for the info on HIGHLY recommended to have differential guards. I just ordered SOLID covers for the front and back.

couple more questions, what is the closet town to trailhead that would have a hotel?
and is anyone flat towing? thats what i think i will be doing and need a bit of info like do i need to disconnect the front and/or rear drivelines? i know ill have to put the t case and tranny in neutral with the key on...

couple more questions, what is the closet town to trailhead that would have a hotel?
and is anyone flat towing? thats what i think i will be doing and need a bit of info like do i need to disconnect the front and/or rear drivelines? i know ill have to put the t case and tranny in neutral with the key on...

The closest town might be Dorrington or Arnold which are 45-60 minutes south on Hwy 4. There are a few guys that flat tow up. If you disconnect the drivelines, you don't have to worry about the Tcase or the tranny. If you leave them connected, I think you want to be in Park with the Tcase in Neutral (check your manual or google it to be sure).

I recommend camping at the site with us. Times for the trail runs can vary somewhat depending on how fast/slow people are waking up and getting ready. Not to mention, the nightlife at the campsite is not something you want to miss.

Edit: looking on google - it appears there is a lodge at Bear Valley which is probably only 20 minutes from the campsite: http://www.bearvalleylodge.com/. Another option is the Lake Alpine lodge: http://www.lakealpineresort.com/accomodations.html.

I still recommend camping with the group.

Last edited:
oh i plan on camping no doubt. me and my pops were thinking about getting a motel the night before (the 8th).
so best thing to do would be to disconnect both?

Tim (knucklehead_61) and I might come up Weds the 8th also. If we do, you should come camp with us.

On flat towing, here's what I found on the interweb:
1. Shift the transfer case of the Jeep into neutral. This will keep the drive shafts from spinning the transfer case gears or the transmission while towing the Jeep.
2. The Jeep owners manual recommends shifting the transmission into "Park" (automatic transmissions) or fifth gear (standard transmission) for towing purposes. Neutral works just as well in practice, however, and many experienced towers prefer it.
3.Put the key into the ignition and turn it to unlock the steering. If you attempt to tow the Jeep with the steering locked, it will not track properly behind you and the towing will be extremely labored.

awesome thanks man. anyway you wanna pm me your number? i would like to camp up the day before. figured if we talked via text it would be easier haha

I tried searching but must have missed it... is hermit valley still going to be the designated campground since DV is closed? If not which one is it? There seems to be a few spots to camp but alpine camp looks big.

Hermit Valley is still the place. There isn't enough room for all of us at Alpine (if you are referring to Alpine Lake) and there is a noise restriction.

Hermit Valley is plenty big and even with the trail closed we can still get to the other trails and the Lake fairly quick.

See ya up there.......

I tried searching but must have missed it... is hermit valley still going to be the designated campground since DV is closed? If not which one is it? There seems to be a few spots to camp but alpine camp looks big.

Back