• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear speaker size 2000 XJ

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm stripping my 1999 XJ and putting all the good stuff in my 2000 XJ

Today I took the 6.5" Polk speakers and the head unit out of the 99 and threw them in the 2000... had to do the usual fix on the wiring in the door jamb and also resolder the master switch on the driver's door, now I have both front speakers working and my passengers can use their windows without asking me to roll them up and down for them.

I'd originally had only one front and one rear speaker working on this thing, I pulled the rear speaker that wasn't, and read infinite resistance across the voice coil, hey, that might be the problem. Threw in the one that was previously in the driver's door, and we're back in business again.

My question is this, on the '99, I'd added an add-on sound bar from an earlier model year and used similar 6.5" Polks and they worked fine. Pretty sure I just had to shave the holes ever so slightly and drill new mounting holes to hold the speakers (those were actually the ones that I put in the front doors of the 2000, because the factory HU in the 99 only had two speaker outputs.) the 2000 has the speaker pods integrated into the headliner, and it looks like I may be limited to 5.25" speakers back there. I'm pretty sure I have a pair of better 5.25" speakers in my junk box, but I don't think I have another pair of 6.5". Can someone tell me if it is easy to put 6.5" in the back of a 2000, or should I just throw in the 5.25" and leave the second pair of 6.5" Polks in the front doors of the '99 as a nice bonus for the next owner?

Back