• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Am I Hearing? - Gear Noise? D30 Roaring

LKN_xj

NAXJA Forum User
(reposting here - I accidentally originally posted in the SEC section)

Hi everyone - I recently installed a B.Lee 3-Link in my 91 XJ, and while the axle was out, I swapped in a lower mileage HP Dana 30. Mine had 360k and backlash was way out so since they're plentiful, I just picked another one up.

Before installing, I checked backlash and it was in spec. I didn't check internal bearings or anything like that. Just went for it.

After the 3-link install and axle swap, I figured I'd take a test drive and determine the status of the axle. I should mention the front DS is out for all of these test drives to eliminate this as a source.

I heard what I can best described as a pulsing grinding/roaring sound. It starts at 25 mph and increases in volume as you go faster. Lately, however at highway speeds it just goes away and is quiet. It pulses every second or so, and sometimes is just a constant roar.

I knew it wasn't the tires because they were quiet before the swap and I reinstalled them on the same 4 corners. I know it's not the rear making noise. It's recently rebuilt and is very quiet. So, I replaced everything it could be. I tore the axle ends down to the C's and did ball joints, u-joints, new spindles and unit bearings. All this made absolutely no difference.

Could this be a differential bearing if the backlash was in spec? Visually the gears looked fine. Not sure how to diagnose the diff other than backlash. Another member suggested since the donor axle could have set for a while. a bearing could have seen corrosion and can be grinding. Could this go away over time as it gets re-oiled?

Thanks!

What does the gear oil in the differential look like?

Sometimes new parts can be defective as well.

You could definitely have a bad diff bearing. Either on the carrier or pinion. Backlash really won't tell you the condition of the bearings. The only way to know for sure is to tear the diff down.

You could definitely have a bad diff bearing. Either on the carrier or pinion. Backlash really won't tell you the condition of the bearings. The only way to know for sure is to tear the diff down.

Bummer - what's weird (or maybe good) is that the noise is becoming more and more sporadic. The pulsing is a little further apart and now it doesn't start until maybe 35mph. Is it possible that a dried out bearing from sitting can be re-oiled and grow quiet? Or, when they're shot, they're shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching, this sounds like the same issue I have but with a 255K mile original LP D30. My best guess is pinion bearing but every time I play hooky from work I have too much stuff to do to drive to my friend's shop and wait around until I can borrow a bay to investigate.

Bummer - what's weird (or maybe good) is that the noise is becoming more and more sporadic. The pulsing is a little further apart and now it doesn't start until maybe 35mph. Is it possible that a dried out bearing from sitting can be re-oiled and grow quiet? Or, when they're shot, they're shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearings don't get better with age or pitting! They don't "re-oil/resurfacel'

after driving around some more I'm pretty sure mine is a chipped ring and/or pinion. Gosh darn it to heck. It gets significantly louder and angrier in "full time" and I've got so much drama at work I just gotta run it until I have time to address it...

Back