• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diablo Predator to read OBDII Codes?

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
I'm told the Diablo Predator I have to tune my GM Duramax will read OBDII codes on any vehicles. I don't expect you guys to know whether this is true but thought it worth a shot to ask. Looking to check codes on my '99 XJ 4.0L with Check Engine. Got all 3 sensors on the throttle body wet and suspect the TPS is trashed. Would like to verify this via OBD before 'shotgunning' parts at it. I have a new TPS so will just install that if I can't find a code reader.

Thanks.

Reading On Board Diagnostics is fairly standard so if it can it should be able to do it.

The only issue I have run into OBDII readers is the one for my laptop causes the PCM in my LJ to hard lock up.

Nope, didn't work ("Cannot Read Codes"). Must be Duramax and/or GM specific. I'll try it on my wife's 6.0 pickup just for kicks.

" Looking to check codes on my '99 XJ 4.0L with Check Engine."
Have you done the turn the key on-off-on-off-on and keep it in the on position and read the check engine lamp flashes yet?

Nope. Didn't know about that method. I changed the TPS and did the computer capacitor discharge and all cleared at the 4th warmup as it should. The code thing was just so I could see what it is. All better now.

Thanks.

By the way.I have been working at GM dealerships since 2001.My specialty is the Duramax 6.6.I know them inside and out.Basically I can have one completely apart in a box full of parts and know exactly where everything goes.So if you have any issues with it I can help you figure it out if you can't.Hint if it surges slightly/hunts @ idle..fuel pressure regulator on the back of the injection pump needs to be replaced. ;)

By the way.I have been working at GM dealerships since 2001.My specialty is the Duramax 6.6.I know them inside and out.Basically I can have one completely apart in a box full of parts and know exactly where everything goes.So if you have any issues with it I can help you figure it out if you can't.Hint if it surges slightly/hunts @ idle..fuel pressure regulator on the back of the injection pump needs to be replaced. ;)

Thanks for that. It's an '05 Regular Cab LLY with just the Predator and CAT back. I have 80k on it in 8 years. Been a good truck. All I've done repair wise is replace the oil cooler once due to high copper (and nothing else) in an oil analysis report. I had my son-in-law do the labor at a shop he was working for at the time. Hopefully it stays this way. Use it mostly to haul my overhead camper, boat, etc. for vacations up north.

No problemo.By the way what ever you do DO NOT LET IT HAVE BLACK SMOKE/RUN RICH FOR LONG!!!
It WILL melt a piston.I had one come into the shop and it was for a missfire, no compression.Took it apart and found an injector was dumping fuel for so long it melted the piston down to the first ring land and looked like a cutting torch was used ,cut into the valve and cylinder head.:shocked:
Just watch your EGT closely.

Last edited:
Naw. I'm an old guy and run it only on Tow/Haul most of the time instead of changing it all the time. I NEVER hammer it on the street and gear down/slow down/rpm down/EGT down on steep grades when towing. Just because you CAN tow 10k+ at 80mph doesn't mean you should. I'd never buy a used diesel that had all the mods done.. most of these guys blow as much smoke as possible for as long as possible (sometimes I wonder if they realize that smoke is just unburned fuel) and I can't count the folks that blow by me hauling a 3 axle 5th wheel up steep grades (do they not have an EGT gauge?). And a lot of these guys who pump them to the max do nothing to upgrade the transmission. I also run a Kleenoil bypass oil filter and Power Up additives (http://www.kleenoilusa.com). It's 'the business'.

Last edited:
Power Up Diesel FX is my additive since it was a baby. Adds the lubricity and cleans the entire fuel system.
www.powerupusa.net
The ISX is notoriously a dirty engine.

Back