• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for AW4 re-build??

94HOCHEROKEE

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving to go snowboarding today and ran into 6-8% grades while heading into the mountains. I have gone to the same ski resort 3 times this year and the first time when I was pulling off the highway at the exit, I pushed the gas and the car stumbled. I then pushed the gas more and it shifted into third and quickly bogged down untill it had no more drive. About 15min. later I limped it to the resort, and drove home fine.:eek:

I assumed I overheated my Tranny because my coolant temp was fine, so I installed a B@M tranny cooler and the past two times doing the same run, the tranny got me there without breaking down.
When I'm driving uphill on 8% grades I bog down to 2K RPMS and down shift to second doing 3500-4000 RPM going 55 MPH and then shift back into 3rd and continue the cycle.......:tears:
My question is should I be looking to rebuild my tranny or re-gear or something else that will help with these hill climbs.
94 HO 4.0, AW4, 170,400 mi., 4" lift 31x10.50's...

Thanks for any input.....:thumbup:

Last edited:
How is the fluid level?

What is the fluid's condition?

Last time you flushed the trans?

What fluid are you using?

Have you adjusted the throttle body pressure cable?

Tested the TPS?

The fluid level was just a bit overfilled, The color was a mid brown. As far as I know the tranny has never been flushed, the Po was my Dad. For the second time I have changed out the fluid, just a drain and fill, twice with Maxlife DEXIII.
Can I find out how to adjust the cable in a Haynes?? I haven't checked the cable or tested the TPS. I will have to get a MM, but I will report back tomorrow after adjusting the cable...

mid brown? That's not a real good sign...transmission fluid is supposed to be red. Any darker, and it's a sign of dirty fluid, burned clutches, etc....

I just used this stuff for the first time yesterday in the wife's ZJ, but I'm hearing awesome things about the Lucas Transmission Fix. Drop the pan, change the filter, and add this stuff.

1. Brown fluid = No good. Try draining the transmission pan and refilling with fresh. I'm not a huge additive guy but I do use LubeGard (red) in my AW4. You don't want the tranny overfilled so be sure to keep it in the safe level on the dipstick. More is not better here....it can froth and provide incomplete lubrication to your internals.

2. The throttle position sensor is directly related to transmission performance. Testing it will require a meter (analog best) and a manual.

3. Below is a link to a thread regarding adjusting your throttle/tranny cable.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963

It sounds like you are simply underpowered in the mountains. A 4.0L isn't that great and you will downshift and upshift a ton going over Eisenhower Tunnel. Lower gears and or stroker are your best fixes.

Sounds like a combo of old, oxidized fluid and a TPS going whacko. When checking the TPS you're going to backprobe into the signal circuit and check for a changing percentage of the 5 volt reference signal. The voltage should sweep smoothly with throttle position, any jumps and you've found a problem.

Well after driving around some trying out the adjustment, I pulled into a gas station and checked the tranny fluid and it was about 3/4 of a pint low. I filled it and now she shifts alot smoother. ;)
About the adjustment, it seems like it has more throttle response and its true what everyone said about it being alot easier to shift out of O.D.. Also it stays out of O.D. more now also.

Back