• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ build questions

ewert35

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone, I have had my XJ for a couple years (01', with 31" and 3.5" lift), love it, gets me where i want to go 4 wheeling, no complaints. A friend of mine just gave me his 33" X 12.5 tires, brand new...got the gears turning again.

Ultimately, i do not want to go bigger than 33" on this jeep since it will still be a daily driver. So i want to build everything from the bottom up to be strong enough to handle the 33"s well. From what i have researched and read, I would like to go with the following...

1. Rubicon Express 5.5" extreme duty long arm kit + shocks.
2. Tom Woods drive shaft + SYE kit.
3. New wheels to fit the bigger tires.
4. Rear disk brake swap kit.
5. Regear to 4.56

The rest i have an idea, but completely open to suggestions and please tell me if i am way off track here. I want to regear my axles (4.56 for 33", I live in Colorado at 9000 feet, lots of mountain driving), add lockers, and upgrade the axle shafts. I have a Dana 30 up front and a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear. I am not sure what my axle spline is, and I'm not exactly sure how to tell?

I'm looking for recommendations (company/brand/price/etc.) for lockers, ring, pinon, carriers, etc. I am not exactly all that I will need, minus the obvious, and i have never done any work with steering box stabilizers, tie rods, etc. I am planning on having a local 4 wheel shop do the gears, lockers, ring and pinon - but i don't want to go in not knowing what is going to happen. ( i need some explanation so i don't sound like an idiot).

I would like to have a manual cable actuated locker, i know everyone has their preferences with limited slip, air activated and the like. I personally would like to have the cable activated lockers because i feel like they are more relibable and simpler.

I most likely skipped over something, or forgot something about the build... Thanks for all your help and recommendations, I really appreciate the help and time! Matt

I'm a little embartased, but how do I tell?

It's a low pinion, unless someone swapped it out for an older axle. The pinion is the part of your axle that spins the drive shaft. Low pinion axles will be more flat on the bottom of the pumpkin... Pictures would help, hold on...

hi-pinion.jpg

Obviously this isn't a jeep axle but the same principal applies. This picture is of a high pinion, see the flat part is on top. Well flip your computer screen upside down and now it's a low pinion. lol Hope this helps...

It's all about where the pinion gear rides an relation to the ring gear (the gear you can see in the picture). Or more simply put it's where your drive shaft attaches to your pumpkin, up high like in the picture, or down low.

Last edited:
Found a picture of a low pinion D30.

dsc02441jw7.jpg

Notice the kinda flat part on the bottom.

Hello everyone, I have had my XJ for a couple years (01', with 31" and 3.5" lift), love it, gets me where i want to go 4 wheeling, no complaints. A friend of mine just gave me his 33" X 12.5 tires, brand new...got the gears turning again.

Ultimately, i do not want to go bigger than 33" on this jeep since it will still be a daily driver. So i want to build everything from the bottom up to be strong enough to handle the 33"s well. From what i have researched and read, I would like to go with the following...

1. Rubicon Express 5.5" extreme duty long arm kit + shocks.
2. Tom Woods drive shaft + SYE kit.
3. New wheels to fit the bigger tires.
4. Rear disk brake swap kit.
5. Regear to 4.56

The rest i have an idea, but completely open to suggestions and please tell me if i am way off track here. I want to regear my axles (4.56 for 33", I live in Colorado at 9000 feet, lots of mountain driving), add lockers, and upgrade the axle shafts. I have a Dana 30 up front and a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear. I am not sure what my axle spline is, and I'm not exactly sure how to tell?

I'm looking for recommendations (company/brand/price/etc.) for lockers, ring, pinon, carriers, etc. I am not exactly all that I will need, minus the obvious, and i have never done any work with steering box stabilizers, tie rods, etc. I am planning on having a local 4 wheel shop do the gears, lockers, ring and pinon - but i don't want to go in not knowing what is going to happen. ( i need some explanation so i don't sound like an idiot).

I would like to have a manual cable actuated locker, i know everyone has their preferences with limited slip, air activated and the like. I personally would like to have the cable activated lockers because i feel like they are more relibable and simpler.

I most likely skipped over something, or forgot something about the build... Thanks for all your help and recommendations, I really appreciate the help and time! Matt

Since it's an '01 you'll have a LP D30 in the front. Not a big deal considering your plans with it. I wheel with guys rocking the LP D30 on that exact same lift and tire combo and they haven't had any major failures. Just know the HP D30 is stronger and you'll have less driveline angle issues.

Sounds like you've done your homework for the most part. Two suggestions though... first is, I noticed you mentioned CO and altitudes of 9000 feet. I would reconsider 4.56 and go 4.88 on the gears. I think it's a much better combo for you. Secondly, the other major consideration you should address is steering. The RE 5.5" lift sits at more like 6-7" new (settles some eventually) which will create some nasty steering angles. I would either go with some kind of OTK steering setup like the WJ knuckle swap (which gives you better brakes simultaneously), or drop down to the 4.5" RE lift which is still plenty to roll 33's with proper fender trimming and bump stops. Hope this helps.

Sounds good, besides the steering issue, the stock tie rod and steering components - do they need to be replaced or strengthened right away or can that wait? To get a HP D30, any recommendations where i should look for one? If i get the HP D30, will the 5.5 be better off then?

I was also looking for some fender flares for my XJ, and I noticed that most of the companies that make them stop at the 96' model, whats up with that?

I was also wondering if anyone has any recommendations on the specific brands of lockers that will fit in my stock pumpkins or if i need to get new carriers with the gears, not exactly sure how that all works?

if i'm not mistaken you need new carriers if you are re-gearing to 4.56/4.88's. i could be wrong though.....

lockers all depend on how much cash you want to spend. detroit lockers are solid. unless you want a locker you can turn on and off, then ARB is the ticket. but take anyone elses advice on that, i dont have a ton of experience with other products.

as far as where to find a HP D30, look at cherokee's in the local junkyard. look at mid 90's up to 1999 (bigger u joints than the older)

there is a sticky at the top of the modified tech forum about axles. lots of good info.

Thanks for the help, I guess I need to finish packing the wallet then I will be ready for the Build. Thanks for all the help and advice.

if cash is the issue, buy the 2 new junkyard axles first, and progressively build them, gears first, then anything else. NOTHING like a nice sexy built axle on your work bench to inspire jeep spending.
you can fit 33x12.50's on a re 3.5 kit with a little extra bump, so you could leave the new lift kit till last. HELL, i dare say you could throw on a 'add-on' long arm front kit and new coils , add shackles and maybe ubolt eliminators to get the extra lift out back.

theres no reason to buy another RE kit, polish/modify the one youve got!, selling anything you replace to fund its next of kin

as far as gearing, check your local chapter, theres tons of wheelers in colorado, im sure you can find someone to regear your axles for you (they like it when you bring them an axle seperated from the vehicle, and it makes building it easier.

Thanks for the advice, I have to admit i would rather pay a local jeeper to help with projects than some of those nation wide chain shops. I will look for those axles straight away, as much as i like waiting and doing small things at a time, I am an American and i want things done right now!

theres no reason to buy another RE kit, polish/modify the one youve got!, selling anything you replace to fund its next of kin

I agree 100%! Keep your springs, grab some RE boomerang shackles for the rear, and spacers up front to match (which is what i wish i had done to be honest, i've got the same set up but with 4.5" springs, would like it a bit lower). Or even some JKS ACOS if you're thinking of changing ride hight frequently. Put your money in a good long arm kit, wheel it and build some axles on the side.

Or even if you're worried about the strength of your low pinion D30 (which i wouldn't be, personally) find a junk yard high pinion one and throw it in (just make sure the gears are the same as your rear). Or keep it out of your jeep and build up your axles as money comes in. I'd suggest a ford 8.8 because of availability, price for parts, super strong, stock limited slip, and stock rear disk brakes, and just a good 'ol high pinion D30 up front probably with some stronger control arm mounts, diff cover, and maybe a truss. PLENTY strong for 33's.

Lockers will without a doubt improve off road capability. That being said, they're very pricey, and i personally would't say that you NEED them right away. I would say get your axles geared properly first. Then move to lockers as you see fit (selectable, lunch box etc..). Although if you grab a ford 8.8 with a limited slip a cheap traction adder is to get more aggressive clutch packs for your limited slip, and you might decide that's enough for what you do, might not. With 33's I'd say 4.56's, with 4.88's as the next choice. 4.56's with 33's will put you geared lower than stock as is, where as 4.88's might be too low if you have to do too much freeway driving.

Don't let people scare you too much about steering upgrades, I'm pushing it a bit, but i'm running 35's with totally stock steering ( i do have a steering box brace and HD track bar). No probs. Upgrade is in the future, but it hasn't failed me yet. Although, assuming you're gonna have project axles, the WJ knuckles/steering/brakes would be highly recommended because you're killing three birds with one stone. And a pretty cheap stone too, if you compare it to upgraded steering and brakes.

For fender flares there are really only four ways to go, Bushwhacker, Rusty's, TJ flares, or custom tube flares. The reason the fender flare company's only say it's good for years 84-96 is because of the body style change in 97. But as far as i know, i might be wrong, the flares will fit your 01 with some extra work. The big problem is the "wrap around" rear bumper. The older ones don't have that and you would have to figure out first which flare to get, then how you're going to deal with the problem. I've seen people trim that plastic part of the bumper so the flare will fit, trim the flare to stop at the bumper, put old style bumper end caps on and remove the hangers making it the same as the old body style, and some people go whole hog and cut off the whole lower panel... As far as which flare to go with, I personally run the Rusty's one
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RA-FLR1-XJ&Category_Code=BODY
Most popular is Bushwhacker, but it has it's flaws..
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=10911-07&Category_Code=bush
It's really up to you at the end of the day.

My biggest suggestion to you would be to go out and wheel it, don't wait for all the parts you dream about to be on your jeep to go wheelin' cause it just won't happen. Test the limits of what you've got and make improvement's where you see the most need for it. (why steering hasn't been upgraded on my jeep, it's still goin' strong)

Looks like you're spending a lot of time doing the proper research, which is awesome. Keep it up and good luck with the build and keep us posted on what's goin on with it! :D

Back