• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Overheating Issue

You know you can, you've seen mine!

I thought maybe you had to fab something up. I also thought that maybe you used the fancy shroud in your picture and then cut it up or something.

Based on that review, it indicates that you can't, so I wanted to make sure.

The electric fan shroud comes off, mines is sitting in the back yard.
This is the way I received mine!
P1080458_zpsek7mvixy.jpg

Griffin. I would still look at the Hesco pump if you think the CSF core is good!

Update - I have the Hesco water pump and Griffon Radiator on order and both will be here this week. From what I have found so far, my problems are a combination of running hot (hopefully the new water pump and radiator solves this) and an electrical gremlin. I took the XJ out for a spin this weekend and from what I saw, my problems are definitely at least partially an electrical gremlin. The gauge was literally jumping all over the place going from hot to regular numerous times in a 15-second interval. I am currently going through all my grounds now and replacing them where needed and cleaning up the wiring in general. I will probably pull my meat thermometers and install a permanent gauge in the upper radiator hose so I can actually see what is going on.

I am hoping this solves my problems because I am at my wit's end. Sorry if my rants have offended or put off anyone. This is truly driving me crazy!!

Something you may want to do is install the Mr Gasket thermostat cap. It has an integrated gauge on it. Granted, you'd have to stop and pop the hood to look.

I have them on all of my vehicles, just for that extra data point should I start seeing shenanigans with the cooling system.

I have a bad ground in the dash wiring somewhere, 6 ohms resistance between the cluster and fender wall, makes the gauge unreliable for data sampling. Meat thermometer in the radiator fins and infrared thermometer on the thermostat housing.

I would never have thought to use a meat thermo. Makes sense!

I would never have thought to use a meat thermo. Makes sense!

RCP Phoenix suggested it to me. You can get the one with dual probes and the remote sensors. I put the sensors in several places on the engine/cooling system and the read the temps on my phone while driving.

I installed the Griffon Radiator and the HESCO waterpump and that has taken care of the issue so far. The water pump I took off was a Mopar unit and appeared to be almost new. I think my problems all go back to the CSF radiator that was in it. Also, just an FYI - Ron Davis Radiator also has an XJ radiator and are local to the Phoenix area. If you are in Phoenix you can drive over there and they will help you troubleshoot your system. I had already ordered the Griffon or I would have gone that route. The Griffon Radiator is a definitely a nice unit. The Ron Davis unit is part #1-26CH9101

Back