• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2-Door, 1/4-window W/vent install question.

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have a 1990 2-door XJ with a broken 1/4-glass. The vent window is OK.

I bought a replacement that included the gasket/frame and vent glass. Both gaskets are old and hard, I'll be working in petroleum jelly to soften the rubber.

Am I better off trying to replace the glass only, or the whole assembly?

Thanks Mike!

This is my first 2-door, it already had the vent window. Keeping the option was expensive this time around, hope I install it with no complications.

Which side? I just got two new (to me) windows. My old ones are also still good on the driver side. Passenger side was subject to a break in.

I was thinking about scrapping the vent windows and going solid (found a 1995 in the jy with solid panes).

I found a set on Craigslist. For his asking price, I bought the driver side only. I just might buy a set of the solid windows for a stand-by. The yard that has those charges $16 each.

Sad part is, the same yard had a set a month ago, before I knew I was buying a two door. I'm pretty sure they went to the crusher.

Are you talking about the triangular vent window or the actual window glass? I've replaced the vent window before on mine and it was pretty easy. I seem to recall that the actual window glass on mine was only held in with two bolts, if that. Might have to remove the vent window assembly since part of it serves as a window track, but once you get to the guts of the door, like I said, it's pretty easy. The worst part of the job is undoing the door and lock rods.

Last edited:
The original post is about the REAR quarter windows on a 2 door XJ. Front, triangular vent windows are the same on 2 or 4 door XJs.
Mike
Are you talking about the triangular vent window or the actual window glass? I've replaced the vent window before on mine and it was pretty easy. I seem to recall that the actual window glass on mine was only held in with two bolts, if that. Might have to remove the vent window assembly since part of it serves as a window track, but once you get to the guts of the door, like I said, it's pretty easy. The worst part of the job is undoing the door and lock rods.

Yes, that would be the Quarter Window.
HPIM1594.jpg

If i can fix a door mounted vent window without removing the frame, so much the better!

Back