• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ - Project Pennyless - Multipurpose Build

I'm really trying to get it back to being road worthy before it gets too cold, but somehow I just keep finding issues that need to be addressed.
You can refresh your drum brakes in an afternoon. Take your drums to a shop that can check the discard diameter and turn them on a brake lathe.

Swapping the rears to disc is fairly straightforward, but will take more time to research, source parts, and install.

That is not bad at all, no fluid leaks to saturate the drum!

24fijp2.jpg

This has the 8.25" Chrysler rear, not the D35.

I did find a thread going over the KJ Liberty swap. I'll take a look at your thread as well.

Aright, well I think I've got the KJ parts list rounded up to compare to just refurbishing the drums. Looks to be about $100 - $125 more to go to disks versus the drum maintenance kit.

I'm really tired of throwing money at this, but $100 seems worth it to not have to dink around with the drums.

Parts Needed:
  • KJ Calipers
  • KJ Rotors
  • KJ Pads
  • KJ Backing Plates
  • KJ Wheel Studs
  • ZJ Hyd. Hoses
  • XJ Wheel Bearing
  • XJ Wheel Seal

In other news, I ordered a full set of interior and exterior LED's as well as the High Beam Offroad - Predator headlights.

I'm on the fence about whether to drop the hammer on the Tuff Stuff bumper.

Aright, well I think I've got the KJ parts list rounded up to compare to just refurbishing the drums. Looks to be about $100 - $125 more to go to disks versus the drum maintenance kit.

I'm really tired of throwing money at this, but $100 seems worth it to not have to dink around with the drums.

Parts Needed:
  • KJ Calipers
  • KJ Rotors
  • KJ Pads
  • KJ Backing Plates
  • KJ Wheel Studs
  • ZJ Hyd. Hoses
  • XJ Wheel Bearing
  • XJ Wheel Seal
Parking brake cables, gear oil, gasket or sealer for the differential cover, and possibly the ZJ proportioning valve spool... All I can think of off the top.

KJ brakes on the way. I'll try to make my way out to the salvage and pull some backing plates this weekend hopefully.

Fingers crossed I can make some headway on the leaf spring removal this week. I'm not looking forward to that.

Looking forward to seeing the brake swap. I am currently doing the research myself to put discs on my D35.

The Jeep is coming along nicely overall as well!

Do your homework before buying KJ wheel studs, my 2000 are listed as .618" and when I was looking KJ's were listed as .668" so I did not change mine!

Looking forward to seeing the brake swap. I am currently doing the research myself to put discs on my D35.

The Jeep is coming along nicely overall as well!

I would just ditch the D35 in favor for a 8.8 w/ disc's for just a little more money.

Finally pulled the trigger on the Tuff Stuff bumper and Ruff Stuff Panhard bracket/heims. Lots of goodies showing up this week! If only I can find some time to get those leafs outta there.

The folks over at Ruff Stuff have absolutely wonderful customer service. I talked to Rob this evening to clarify some things before my panhard order an he took 10-15min to complete explain everything in detail. Real class act over there. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Made a little progress this weekend. Mostly battling the leaf springs. Got 3 out 4 bolts out successfully, but the drivers side front bolt snapped about half way out. I tried the double nut trick to no avail. Looks like I'm going to have to weld a nut on it.

Also pulled all the shocks and rear backing plates off. The salvage didn't have any KJ rears to pull from so I'll give it another try later this week.

**Sorry if these import funny. Sometimes iPhone pics upload fine and sometimes they are dumb.

29e0gf6.jpg

2j161dg.jpg

minu3r.jpg

2ivohkz.jpg

10zuzxk.jpg

Subaru has officially lost a ringland, so I'm hoping to speed this up a bit and get it on the road. Such as life sometimes I guess.

In other news the Tuff Stuff bumper came in yesterday and I'm impressed. It even came with two clevis'. Pictures to come a little later.

Bringing this back to life after some time away.

Starting working on the front end after getting fed up with fighting the leaf spring bolts.

New Steering Gear

23m1rhd.jpg

New Bored Out Pitman Arm

2m5bjw4.jpg

New Front Coils and Bilsteins

or1mpv.jpg

RuffStuff Trackbar Axle Bracket

vooqwz.jpg

Mocking Up the Trackbar

orqel5.jpg

So Close yet So Far

j5j96t.jpg

Have you gotten a kj backing plate yet for brakes? You could go the route of d35 backing plate from a 98' disk brake zj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back