• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Learning to weld

Kyle

NAXJA Forum User
Got all the equipment for my new machine and spent the afternoon learning. My biggest problem of the afternoon was hitting the wire against the material mid weld. Still not quite sure what's going on, insite?

Crappy weld (wire hitting against material)

Better?

First real project will be to build a small welding table.

Not sure what you mean by wire hitting material? I thought that was the point of MIG welding? Looks like you need to play with the heat/feed settings more.

It should sound like sizzling bacon. You'll know when you got it, it will sound "just right".

If you are practicing on scrap, maybe turn up your heat/speed beyond what you might expect you need then back it down form there to fine tune...

Somewhere on that machine should be a chart that says what the heat and feed settings should be for the material and thickness, start there. If you have the heat in range for the material and the wire keeps hitting it, slow the feed a little and try some more.

Study, practice, study, learn.

Somewhere on that machine should be a chart that says what the heat and feed settings should be for the material and thickness, start there. If you have the heat in range for the material and the wire keeps hitting it, slow the feed a little and try some more.

Study, practice, study, learn.

Yup it has something to do with me feeding too fast I believe. I have been referencing the chart, it's an interesting learning process for sure.

Judging by the adapter you have on your 211 you are only welding on 110v. You need to turn the voltage up on the machine, it doesn't look like you have much if any penetration. I have the older model 211 and I love it, but it works much better on 220v.

Also, I would prep you materials more...especially on 110v.

Either turn your heat up or slow down your wire feed. If it feels like the wire hits the material mid weld and doesn't arc (you'll feel the wire try to push the gun back), that means you're feeding much too fast.

I'd start by doing what others recommended and reference the chart. Then from there, play around with heat/wire feed to see how each adjustment affects the weld.

I find that wearing reading glasses under my helmet allows me to see better what is happening and make a better bead.

I find that wearing reading glasses under my helmet allows me to see better what is happening and make a better bead.
I need-em to read, I need-em to weld. First time I tried to strike an arc with bifocals on, I knew I was destined to have a pair of safety glasses ground for close work only.

Well I figured out what was going on. Yes I'm running 110 currently, I have 220 however it's a pain to get too, will only use for certain things. The main problem was I was plugged into a crappy extension cord that couldn't handle the load. Got some more practice in today with much better luck. It will be fun to continue learning. My first project will be to build a worktable.

Take a welding class

I get better looking welds off of my Lincoln 110 but when welding 1/4 to 1/4 I run Max heat with wire feed at the slowest possible position then double pass it

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

That machine needs a 30 amp breaker and appropriate wiring. Keep practicing and trying different settings. That's the only way to learn how to lay good beads.

I get better looking welds off of my Lincoln 110 but when welding 1/4 to 1/4 I run Max heat with wire feed at the slowest possible position then double pass it

This is wrong. Wire welding needs heat and wire speed for penetration. Running max heat with no wire speed doesn't give a proper weld.

Hadn't failed on me yet. Slow 1.5 speed and double pass has held up to everything I have ever asked of it. It has enough speed km my machine to pit down enough wire into the weld area And if that Kant the case then the 225 stick will.

Take a welding class

Agreed. My son and I took several and they were were well worth the time and money. One of the local adult schools has a program for getting either a California, or the more stringent LA certifications. We didn't need the certs, just needed to be able to trust our work.

There was a kid there that was absolutely amazing with a TIG. Definitely a skill I'll be going back for.

Hadn't failed on me yet. Slow 1.5 speed and double pass has held up to everything I have ever asked of it. It has enough speed km my machine to pit down enough wire into the weld area And if that Kant the case then the 225 stick will.

Stick: my favorite

Back