• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MT-2500 scanners Snap-on

FYI the battery is not required to run the device. The battery in to run it disconnected.

As for the cable the same cable is used for a printer or a computer, it's just a serial cable with the appropriate ends, in fact you could easily make it event, I have the pinouts in the manual from my Brick.

I love making stuff, but not to save $14, LOL. Thanks.

party1:party1:party1:party1:party1:party1:

Just got to try out my new to me, used (Ebay auction buys part by part) Snap-on MT-2500 rig on my 96 Ford, and, wait for it!!!!!!

party1:

My 89 Renix engine and AW4 transmission!!!!

The rig worked great on my 89 Renix era jeep, I love it!!!! It even gave me a lot of transmission data that made my day :)

Told me which solenoids in the AW4 were on or off, etc.....

I am about to be spoiled party1:
I paid about $150 for the hardware for the Renix set up. About another $150 to upgrade it to 1997 OBD-II US Domestic only.

FYI the battery is not required to run the device. The battery in to run it disconnected.

As for the cable the same cable is used for a printer or a computer, it's just a serial cable with the appropriate ends, in fact you could easily make it event, I have the pinouts in the manual from my Brick.

I'm interested in getting the MT-2500 so I can scan my 92 XJ. That should be the OBD-I and I"ll need the power cord/adapter to be able to feed power to the brick (according to what I read above).

Which cartridge is needed to be able to see codes, run diagnostics, see live numbers from all sensors, etc?

Thanks

I'm interested in getting the MT-2500 so I can scan my 92 XJ. That should be the OBD-I and I"ll need the power cord/adapter to be able to feed power to the brick (according to what I read above).

Which cartridge is needed to be able to see codes, run diagnostics, see live numbers from all sensors, etc?

Thanks

You need at least the basic cartridge that lists JEEP on the label, minimum, and it must 1992 or newer. I'd get 1996 or newer so you can also do OBD-II if needed someday. It does quite a lot.

Then if you want to get fancy with tests and snoop around the AW4 also get a 1992 or newer, Troubleshooting cartridge that also says JEEP on the cartridge. Chrysler with out Jeep also listed on the cartridge will not work. The troubleshooting cartridge must be the same year or newer than the basic cartridge or it can cause damage. You also need the Jeep OBD-I ???? cable as I recall!!!! Not to be confused with the Jeep-1 Renix cable. And you need the MT-2500 main serial cable (It is special on the pin out).

You need at least the basic cartridge that lists JEEP on the label, minimum, and it must 1992 or newer. I'd get 1996 or newer so you can also do OBD-II if needed someday. It does quite a lot.

Then if you want to get fancy with tests and snoop around the AW4 also get a 1992 or newer, Troubleshooting cartridge that also says JEEP on the cartridge. Chrysler with out Jeep also listed on the cartridge will not work. The troubleshooting cartridge must be the same year or newer than the basic cartridge or it can cause damage. You also need the Jeep OBD-I ???? cable as I recall!!!! Not to be confused with the Jeep-1 Renix cable. And you need the MT-2500 main serial cable (It is special on the pin out).

Thanks for the info. I got a bid on a decent setup on eBay at the moment. Hopefully, I win the bid cause it comes with everything you mentioned.

Can not tell from that link what you actually got, no list and the photos are too poor to read.

See if this helps... I appreciate you looking.

Ad Text
"Up for auction is a loaded MT 2500 snap on scan tool. Includes many cartridges adapters cables and keys as shown. Pictures of the actual item show what's included. In overall good condition. No reserve."

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The two cartridges in the scanner should cover the OBD-I HO 4.0s, yes.

All you need is for one of those cables to be an OBD-I Jeep cable. There is no key used in the OBD-I as I recall. They are OBD-II critters.

I do not need power for the Renix Jeeps, but you may need a power cable in there for the Jeep battery to MT-2500, if OBD-I jeep needs them? I do not know if it needs one. Looks like you a large variety of cables and cartridges, not a bad deal for that price.

The two cartridges in the scanner should cover the OBD-I HO 4.0s, yes.

All you need is for one of those cables to be an OBD-I Jeep cable. There is no key used in the OBD-I as I recall. They are OBD-II critters.

I do not need power for the Renix Jeeps, but you may need a power cable in there for the Jeep battery to MT-2500, if OBD-I jeep needs them? I do not know if it needs one. Looks like you a large variety of cables and cartridges, not a bad deal for that price.

My 91 has needed power for the Bosch scanners that O'Reilly's uses.

Yep, I think 91-95 are the years that need a battery clamp to plug-jack cable to power the MT-2500

Well I got the MT-2500 delivered and it came with a butt load of connectors, adapters, cables, and cartridges. But I'm not seeing a users manual for it. So I'll have to try and find one online.

Without a manual, I'm assuming I can use the 2 items in red for my 92 XJ?

Adapters Included:

• Chry - 1
  • Chry - 2
  • DL-15
  • DL-16
  • Jeep - 1
  • GM -1
  • GM -2
  • Honda - 1
  • Hyundai - 2
  • Mazda - 1
  • Mitsu - 1
  • Multi - 1
  • Multi - 2
  • OBD-ll (B)
  • Toyota - 1
  • Toyota - 2
  • VW - 1
Cables Included:

• Cig lighter to AC pin connector
  • Battery clamp to pin connector
  • Printer cable
  • Serial male to serial female connector
Pics showing the bat clamp cable and Jeep -1 connector:

17218282_1379907032073488_8520180126067477857_o.jpg

17192326_1379907025406822_1351831690944561643_o.jpg

17218505_1379907018740156_4428518349509754379_o.jpg

Ok just read GSequoia's post about all the years of XJ's he can connect to and read and the adapters..

Looks like I can use these 2 to connect to my OBD-l 92 XJ. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

17097384_1379915712072620_1781322273580869044_o.jpg

Yep, use the CHRY-1 connector. Looks like your good to go.

Last edited:
Back