• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ From scratch

Marcelo73

NAXJA Forum User
I've an 1998 XJ Sport 4.0 manual. Just have a 2" spacer and 29" MT tires. I use it in the city and trails with mud or sand. I'd like to lift it to put 32x11 or 33x10.5 tires and gain a couple of inches and keep hung less often in the paths. After reading several forums I decided to do the following upgrades:

- Safari Snorkel (most of trails include water-crossing).
- Swap the D35c for an OEM Chrysler 8.25 29 splines (4.10 and trac loc)
- Upgrade drum brakes to Teraflex disk brakes.
- Crown and pinion 4.10 for the D30
- Powertraxx for D30
- HD tie rod system (Currie, RE, IRO, etc).

Lift kit: doesn't seem easy to choose.

My first option was RE Extreme Duty 5.5" but read that is actually a lot taller. I don't need to be the taller in the block, so the other option is RE 4.5" superflex. The only 'problem' it does not include shocks and prefer a complete kit. Also read that the company was out of business and had several problems with bushings. I don't know if actually it does.
The other option (in the budget) is Iron Rock 5.5". The kit includes shocks that can be upgraded to Bilstein 5125 or 5150, and many other things (SYE, Custom Length Tom Wood's CV Driveshaft, JKS quick disconnect, etc). My only concern is that read some parts are from Rough Country and the quality are not good.

The final option is buy all the parts by separate but I think I will face lot of problems to join them.

Any idea, sugestions (as keep the money :laugh3: ) ?

If you are going to stay with the 8.25 rear. look at doing the brake swap from a Liberty. The Libby uses the same (OK, a bit wider) back axle and the parts bolt up...

There are threads here on it.

Thanks for the answers, I'm going to search about Liberty or ZJ swaps. I will buying from the foreign, that's the reason I'm choosing brand new things. On the other side the budget is not unlimited so all money counts.

why not ford 8.8 with a LSD and 4.10 + Disks? Thats three birds with the expense of maybe a little welding!

why not ford 8.8 with a LSD and 4.10 + Disks? Thats three birds with the expense of maybe a little welding!

It's an option but I have to buy all things online. I found one place that sells rebuilt 8.8 axles but the price is about 2.5K.

A complete OEM Chrysler 8.25 with 4.10 and trac lock is about 1K, drums included.

Any comments about the lift kits?

The 8.8 with 4.10s isn't always easy to find. It took me a good amount of time to hunt one down. And just a ? Why do you have to but everything online?

The 8.8 with 4.10s isn't always easy to find. It took me a good amount of time to hunt one down. And just a ? Why do you have to but everything online?

I don't live in USA. That's the main reason I prefer online and new parts. I have not access to YJ to search and buy the pieces and if something doesn't match buy another one and receive it at home in a couple of days. The shipping is by sea to save money and takes 30-40 days.

what about explorers are those not common in Uruguay?...those are the source of 8.8s..

If by 'common' you mean about 25 or maybe 50 (in total), yes they are common :laugh3:
Most of them never were used off-road so still are running (like the other 4x4/SUV vehicles). It's difficult to find parts, that's the reason I want to buy everything in USA.

Back