• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help...Jeep pulls right on decel

Redsled12

NAXJA Forum User
Little background info. Clayton 3 link RE 7" coils 5.5 RE leafs.... Rustys 1" shackles and relocation brackets. I recently retired my off road only jeep and transferred my Clayton 3 link to my DD. right after doing the lift I noticed the jeep has a slight pull left on moderate to heavy acceleration and a fairly good pull right on decel....i am very mechanically inclined and I've looked over everything i can think of 10x but find no issues so here I am asking for some insit. all steering is tight all new heim control arm bushings have no play. An alignment was done by me and is spot on with all numbers perfect tires are brand new as well....I'm at a loss any help will be greatly appreciated

Do you have a rear lunch box locker? That will cause the left / right pull feel and it will be multiplied by the amount of lift.

i had same issues.

motor mounts?

is your track bar too short?

i was having same issues, i recut and welded my track bar bracket to move it out and it helped, but i am still too short, my pull to the right is still there on decelleration, but not as bad, i am building a new track bar and brackets this coming week as soon as parts are in, i will report back if it solved it completely

I would guess it's the bushings on the the leaf springs or shackle. When you accelerate and decelerate there is a lot of torque transferred through those bushings. It might be tough to tell if the bushings are cracked or split/worn without some disassembly. I would make sure the bolts are torqued to spec first if nothing appears obviously worn. If that doesn't work you might have to disassemble. I would think it's more likely the shackle bushings or the rear bushings of the leaf springs.

Motor mounts are good. The track bar is fairly short. Its got a drop bracket and over the axle track bar mount...its definitly much shorter than the drag link

I will check the shackle bushings. Leafs are pretty new maybe 2 wheeling trips and a few hundred street miles. In will check the shackle bushings tomorrow tho.

i had same issues.

motor mounts?

is your track bar too short?

i was having same issues, i recut and welded my track bar bracket to move it out and it helped, but i am still too short, my pull to the right is still there on decelleration, but not as bad, i am building a new track bar and brackets this coming week as soon as parts are in, i will report back if it solved it completely

Approximately, what is length of the track bar and the drag link? I am experiencing some of the same problems every now and then.

If you changed leaves you would have seen this, but for anyone else looking, I’ve seen 2 stock XJs in the last few months with a broken shackle and I really couldn’t tell until I flexed out the suspension.

If you changed leaves you would have seen this, but for anyone else looking, I’ve seen 2 stock XJs in the last few months with a broken shackle and I really couldn’t tell until I flexed out the suspension.

Yea. Good point there. However, my XJ do not have broken shackles. It could have bad leaf spring bushings,....315,000 miles on them or maybe bad transmission mount,....315,000 miles also on it. Engine mounts are Mountain Offroad rubber offerings about 40,000 miles and still vibrate badly at idle although not as bad as 40,000 miles ago.

I have a new set of leaves to put on but,...why it is not done? :dunno: I guess it is not a priority.

Back