• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door pockets from Jimmydaux

Wolverine87

NAXJA Forum User
These door pockets are awesome! I got the Wrinkled Graphite for my gunmetal blue Cherokee Classic and they look so smooth. The install was fairly easy, just pulled the panel, made a cardboard template and drilled 6 holes, after that I just bolted it up with the supplied hardware and snapped the panel back on, voila its a beauty. I have had it on for 2 days now and already am using the pockets and drink holders for water bottles. These pockets are well built, for anyone considering these, you wont be dissappointed.

Pocket%201.JPG

Pocket%203.JPG

Pocket%202.JPG

Those look great! I know I'll really enjoy them when I win the free set!

Can you take a picture and show how close they get to the seat?

Are they held on by the plastic, or do the mount into the metal part of the door?

How do you get the door pannel off? b/c with the handle being there and the two metal rods running into the jeep i cant figure out how to disconnect them so i can get my door panel off.

How do you get the door pannel off? b/c with the handle being there and the two metal rods running into the jeep i cant figure out how to disconnect them so i can get my door panel off.

The rods clip onto the back of the handle. Once you see the clips, they are fairly easy to remove. But be careful not to drop the door panel when they are still attached. If you do, it can snap the mounting tabs off the back of the handle. The handle is integral to the panel. So if you break those, you have to by a whole new door panel. Couple hundred bucks to replace one IIRC, and that was before the price restructuring.

The rods clip onto the back of the handle. Once you see the clips, they are fairly easy to remove. But be careful not to drop the door panel when they are still attached. If you do, it can snap the mounting tabs off the back of the handle. The handle is integral to the panel. So if you break those, you have to by a whole new door panel. Couple hundred bucks to replace one IIRC, and that was before the price restructuring.

Ok cool thanks. Now i will be able to put in my new front speakers i got lol

Yeah getting the panel off isnt too bad really. The plastic retainer clips that hold the metal rods in place can be a pain sometime. Sometimes Ill be able to pop them off by hand, others I need to use a screwdriver. Ive had a fair amount of weight in the pockets before with no adverse effects. I dont know if I have a picture straight down to show how close they get to the seat, but I'll see if I can drum one up. Look in the thread in the vendor forum, I believe theres one thats close to what your looking for.

Thanks for answering questions kittrell ;)

So I finally got my pockets installed. I REALLY am happy with these. Got the textured black which I think go well with the tan/black door panels. Some might ask why I didn't mount them a little further back to cover the grooves in the panel? Where the hard plastic guide at the bottom of the seatbelt comes out, if I moved it back, it rubs right there and I didn't want to rub the coating off over time. I'm happy with where I mounted them.

Okay, here's the pics...

PICT5066.jpg

PICT5067.jpg

PICT5068.jpg

PICT5069.jpg

PICT5070.jpg

My wife wants to know how big of a bottle can you put in this holder?She likes her MC CAFE drinks..What ever you call the dam things...LOL.. So let me know please

XJ mike, Im glad you like them!! They look really good w/the black on tan. Thanks a million for posting pics up!

You can fit a powerade bottle snugly. I bet it would fit the mccafe drink fust fine.

I'll add that I was able to do this without pulling the whole panel off. Just popped the clips around the bottom and about midway up the panel, removed the three screws holding the handle on and pulled it out enough to get my hand back there.

I held the pocket where I wanted it, used a Sharpie to mark the upper holes. I drilled them. I placed a piece of painters tape along the bottom area, where the hole would line up, loosely bolted the top tabs to the panel. Then I used a 90* pick and made pin holes thru the bottom tabs. Removed the pocket and drilled the lower ones where the pin holes were and then bolted everything up.

I had looked at the JC Whitney ones shown above but now seeing them versus the ones I got, I am much happier with them. I really like having the drink holder, since I tend to fill up the console holders with camara, phone, etc. of stuff. No more rearanging stuff when I get a bottle of water out.

As far as Ive been able to find out, they seem like theyll interfere with a 4 door with manual windows. It sounds like they will work just fine with the 2 door w/ or w/o manual windows. I need to find someone with a 4 door with manual windows locally so I can test fit them to see what needs to be modified to make them fit.

is there room to include the bottle holder on the shorter model for manual windows?
if it fit, it might be nice..

either way, i'll definitely buy a set for my 97 4 door with manual windows..
i hope you get enough interest to make some!

Last edited:
Did this same modification about 6 weeks ago on my 98 XJ 4 door.
Went to the local JY and picked up a set of factory plastic door pockets and installed them using a cardboard template that I fashioned from the pocket mounting holes.
The installation for both doors took about 2 hours and cost $4.50.

img_000001.jpg

Last edited:
Back