• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.5 inch lift with 12.5 inch wide tires

97babyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
does anybody with a 3.5 inch lift run 31x12.5 inch like pro comps or super swampers?? just wondering if i will have rubbing issues opposed to running 31x10.5. thanx
ryan

They will rub. The 31x10.5 will rub as well. Under full articulation with the wheel turned those tires are both to big to not hit. I have 4.5 inches of lift and run 31x9.5 (245x75x16) and tires any larger will hit if you are using the stock rim backspacing at extreme articulation.

I am doing a 3.5 lift also. My stock rims are in good shape how big of a tire will they handle. I am thinking of 31s right now i have 215R70 15s on at stock height. What i do not want is the tire to stick out beyond the flares.

eh2003 said:
They will rub. The 31x10.5 will rub as well. Under full articulation with the wheel turned those tires are both to big to not hit. I have 4.5 inches of lift and run 31x9.5 (245x75x16) and tires any larger will hit if you are using the stock rim backspacing at extreme articulation.

Trim your fenders a little maybe? With 4.5 inches 33's will fit fine with some trimming and 31x10.5 easily fits on 3.5 inches. Just dont be afraid to cut a little bit. Done properly it can look good.

with correct cutting you could run some 32x11.5 inch tires. I ran them on stock rims for a while and i never had any problems. For a While i even ran some 33x12.5's on the 3.5 inch lift. The key areas to cut are the lower parts of the fender. They will grab there but above that i usually dont hit, they tuck more than they will hit. good luck to ya.

I have the 1986 wagoneer with the wood panel sides and black flares which i like a lot. It looks so out of the ordinary compared to the Cherokee. So to me cutting is out of the question. Not opposed to it. So i am looking to put a good tire and stuff it in. The stock rims are the seven spoke aluminum. I will post a pic soon of it.

I know your opposed to cutting, but there is a thread on here that shows you how to move the oem fender flares up to get more flex room for a little bigger tires..... ok ok ill drop it... to each his own.:D

Back