• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower Motor Problems

Bigsurf75

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, So I got an FSM and went over the three most likely possiblities of a blower motor defect.

Blower motor resistor- Faulty and old- replaced. All settings on fan work once more, and the blower motor operates when power is placed directly to the motor.

Blower motor relay- Operational

Blower motor relay connector- Common feed or terminal 30 on the connector is supposed to be hot at ALL times when the ignition is switched. It isn't. All related fuses are operational so WTF?

Fuses are All operational if you didn't read all the way through ^^^.

Blower Selector switch- All operational.

Current set up- Blower motor jerry rigged to switched power supply and everything works.

Anyone know why terminal 30 wouldn't be hot when switched if all fuses are normal?

UPDATE: After about twenty minutes of driving and operation, I'm having more problems.

Now selections 1, 2, and 3 are no longer operational and only 4 works.

Apparently, when in the 4 position, the thermal resistor is completely bipassed and and current is un regulated.

So I checked the resistor for problems and it appears to be fine... So what the heck is the deal? I just don't understand.

Anyone have any knowledge about this problem?

Well, As of yesterday, the blower selector switch was all operational. Tested as per the FSM.

But since the resistor went out last night I have not checked it again. The relay is fine, the resistor still has continuity and the blower motor still works.

I've decided to take it to a shop that specializes in electrical problems tommorow.

Hes only gonna charge 45 for a diagnosis so we'll see.

My '91 blows fuses constantly...unless the air conditioner is unplugged. Try that and see if it helps. Sorry but that is the only solution I have found to my problem and thought it might help with yours.

Bigsurf75 said:
Blower motor resistor- Faulty and old- replaced. All settings on fan work once more

I'd check here again. Did the old resistor show signs of burning around the terminals? Could be corroded terminals got hot and damaged the connecter. Removing and installing the connecter on the new resistor may have temporarily cleaned the connection, until it got hot again. Look at the connecter closely and see if the plastic is deformed, terminals burnt.

Yea, the connector was burnt up. I cut it off and fashioned a new with with wire connectors and some extra wire when I installed the new resistor.

So I have heard from a few people now that the problem is because the motor is drawing to much power and its blowing the resistors. So I'm gonna try n find a motor from somewhere.

Anyone know what models are interchangeable? IE will a 98 fit in a 97?

Back