• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing hoses - transmission & PS

slaughlin

NAXJA Forum User
I've replaced the radiator hoses on my 98 XJ (97,000 miles) regularly. On other, older cars I've replaced radiator, gas hoses and vacuum lines at 4yr intervals. Whats the views of the forum membership on replacing transmission and power steering hoses as a preventative maintenance item? If so, what intervals? TIA

Steve in Alabama

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Have patience things will gradually break down and need to be replaced it's a Jeep. Save your money, you'll need it.

Power steering hoses? Replace them when they break.

Radiator hoses? Good PM.

Transmission Cooler lines? Face it, undercar rubber takes a beating. Change them every four to five years.

Replace with 3/8" AT or PS lines, use bulk between the hardlines. As long as you're about it, see if you can re-route them up out of the way - help them last longer.

When you cut the crimps off and remove the rubber from the hardlines, check for the presence of a "bubble" or a "bead" that the rubber can lock onto. If it's not there, smear a little RTV Black on the outside of the metal tube, slip at least 3" of rubber onto it, and use two clamps at least 1/2" apart for best sealing.

5-90

Back