• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What year did they start useing the 8.25"?

88woody

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a rear axle out of an 89 Wagoneer (XJ) I thought I was buying a Dana 35, but it turned out to be what I think is an 8.25". Is this the original axle? My brother has an 8.25 in his 95' and it's alot different than mine. My axle tubes are a lot smaller, the cover has no overhanging sheet metal, but the brakes appear to be the same. The only reason that I am asking is because I need brakes, and the geniuses at NAPA "need" to know the year that it came off of.

BTW, is there any strength differences between that and a D35?

Not sure what year they started with it, but my 92 & 96 look the same. The one on my old 97 looked the same too. JIM.

According to the info I have the 8.25 first went into XJ's in 1991. All 8.25's have thicker axle tubes than D35's (3" as opposed to 2.62").

Here's the info that I have:
Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 84-89
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 90-01
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01

So, if you go by this: with the exception of the tubes themselves, the earlier 8.25's are about equal to the D35's. The later ones got slightly thicker shafts and a higher spline count.

HTH

Steve

Hmmmm... That interesting. The Dana 35 that I pulled off has an axle tube diameter of 2.5"....The 8.25 has a diameter of 2.62". Could my D35 be something else?
So, if they didn't start putting in 8.25's until 1991, then chances are this axle doesn't have 190k on it, like the rig that it came out of...cool.

I think you're missing the point. With a tube diameter of 2.62" I don't think your axle is an 8.25.

Does the cover flange have a flat lip, or is the edge of the flange dished up? Is there a flat bar-like extension along the bottom of the housing, about 6" to 8" long?

<edit> Oh, yeah -- an 8.25 should have a Chrysler "pentastar" logo cast into the diff housing. Obviously, a Dana axle won't. What kind of markings are there on the diff housing and on the axle tubes?</edit>

The cover flange has a flat lip. I didn't see any markings of Chrysler on it. However, the filler plug (it's a rubber plug) says Dana on it.
So, I have a D35. Yippee.
Since the other axle is trashed, it doesn't really matter, but since it had a 2.5" tube, any idea what it was?

Thanks for all the replies

Back