• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31 inch tires

85Chief

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking to get a 3-3 1/2 inch lift on my 85 Chief, and I am wondering what tires are the best to use. I think I want All Terrain's. The tires need to be good on the road because its my DD, and I hardly have time to take it offroad. I might go with the --31X10.5QR15 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO Raised White Letters--. Im more than welcome to suggestions on other tires.

Does anyone have these tires, and can tell me what they think? I need to know how much road noise, how the ride is, and how fast they wear.
Thanks!!!

I love the BFG AT's: I drive ~120 miles each day and they wear great (too good actually..... I want them to be dead so that I can put new ones in LOL). Also they handle great in rain (no matter what anyone says: IT RAINS HARD in CA) and I don't have any complaints about snow/ice performance (could be better, but it's a whole lot better then what my Wrangler RT's used to feel like).

I've found that the Bfg AT did better offroad in all but deep mud than my current Pro-Comp MTs. They did have a bit more highway noise than other AT tires I've run, and they rode a little stiffer, but I thought it was worth it for how well they worked off-road, and in rain and snow. If you want to try a set with some good life left for cheap see my for-sale thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21902

i run 30's x 9.50, and i live in anchorage, alaska. they handle excellent on snow, dry, wet and ice. i just drove from washington to oklahoma, then to fairbanks, AK, then down to anchorage. my temperature ranged from -40 to 115 throughout the last 8 months with the tires and about 15,000 miles. i love em.

I drive all over the country n 31x10.5-15LT BFG AT/TA(KO) tyres, and the only way I'll put something else on my XJ is if I need a specialty tyre. I got well over 70kMiles out of the last set, and even when they were damn near bald they handled better for me than most new tyres I've driven - even going up into the Sierras, in the snow, dodging know-nothing Yuppies during ski season.

If you watch the Sears flyers, they can sometimes be found on sale for $80-85 per tyre. BUY ROAD HAZZARD - it will likely pay for itself. I get it on every set of tyres I buy, and I've never lost money on it...

Road manners are excellent, and I have no worries in rain or snow, sand, mud, or worksites. Rain in CA is particularly bad - for the first part of the season, there is just enough rain to bring the oil on the roads to the surface. Amazing how many of these fools don't realise that...

5-90

Thanks a lot guys for the answers.
"5-90"- thanks for the advice about the Sears catalogs. I can always use the extra money.
"lesslimited"- thanks for the offer, its almost too good to pass up. Ill have to think about it though, because I need a new engine before I can through anything else on the ol' Jeep

I loved my BFGs, but I'll never go back now that I have my trXus MTs. Quiet on the freeway, great in the snow/rain, MUCH better in the sloppy stuff. :) Oh, and I think they're cheaper in the magazine ads too. I don't know how anyone can get 70K out of the BFGs, I got about 50K on mine and that was pushing it. I'm told I can expect 40K out of the trXus.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Last edited:
I use ONLY BFG AT's. Presently I am running them on both my work truck and my XJ. Only get about 30k on them before I need to replace them though. I am kinda rough on them and I also drive a lot of twisties...
I also need tires that perform great in the sand.....it kinda took out the Goodyears...(no offence to you that run the MTs...)
......Just can't go wrong with the BFGs......

I agree, run the AT's. I found that my BFG's were great, but the last set of all terrains i ran i bought at Costco on the cheap. Yes they were Kirkland Signature (Costco brand) tires, made by uniroyal. They actually ran even better than the BFG's, balanced easier, ran quieter, had the same traction, and cost about 30% less. I know this must seem like blasphemy to some of you hardcore BFG fans, but I figure a tire's a tire, especially on a daily driver. And by the way, if you get the white letters out, watch the curbs and rocks or your whole sidewall will be white before you get to 75% on the treads!
Buck.

I’ve had good luck with my BFG ATs in the rain, snow and slush. They are great on road and pretty good off road. I have a couple of friends using MTs that seem to do a little better off road than I do. But in exchange for a slight off road performance they have to put up with obnoxious tire noise on the hi-way. A guy from work just bought a set of Dunlap Rovers. Its too early to tell how they will perform, but they look nice and the price is REAL attractive.

Back