• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RADesigns Prototype R/T shifter-

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
About a month ago I contacted Rory from RADesigns to see if he could help solve a problem I was having with my race car's (clicky for link if you don't know what I'm talking about) transmission. I had never run any of his products, but everybody seemed impressed with them and he sounded like he knew his AW4's. After describing what I was having issues with (odd torque converter lock up just after 3rd, no control over 2-1 downshift, ill-timed mid-corner downshifts, etc) he proposed a solution. Last week, I got a late Christmas present:

DSC_0434.jpg

Now what I've got is full manual control in first, second and third and no more annoying TC lockup. For fourth (which I will rarely use, and then only on long straights over 90+ mph) I'm going to wire a momentary switch on the shift lever. When depressed, it will shift to 4th until the button is released (just for fun, I'm thinking a "go-baby-go" button ala Gone in 60 Seconds).

1st:

DSC_0454.jpg

2nd:

DSC_0447.jpg

3rd:

DSC_0452.jpg

Park, neutral and reverse are blocked by this swiveling plate to avoid a transmission disintegrating fumble. The block-off plate is solid and chunky, so it should be easy to manipulate with race gloves on.

DSC_0433.jpg

Guts:

DSC_0437.jpg

Also, the entire assembly is moved back several inches so it's easier to reach: When we're all harnassed into the seat, reaching Park on the stock shifter is tough. I asked Rory to leave the whole unit somewhat bare and unfinished for a couple reason; one it's a prototype and we may need to make adjustments. Secondly, the more home-made it looks, the less the organizers think it's some high-speed, low-drag expensive speed part ($500 budget for the entire car). When I get it installed and have a chance to take it out for a spin, I'll report back with my initial impressions. I know there are already a few people interested in this product, but as with any reputable manufacturer, he wants the proof of concept tested before putting it into full-scale production.

Stay tuned!

-Matt

P.S. Again, for those not familar, here's the application:

4P0V1933.jpg

Back