• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing transmission shift cable....

xDUMPTRUCKx

NAXJA Forum User
Well my exaust manifold broke off and melted my trans cable to nothing.

Anyone ever replace one?

It looked pretty fun as I would have to tear apart the center console and cut some carpet but I just wanna know if there's anything I need to look out for.

Don't know if its' the same on a 92, but the tranny cable on an 89 is 10 foot long and snakes under the dash, out near the drivers fender and then up and down to the tranny. It was a b*tch to run, btw. My 93 ZJ has a real short cable that pokes through the tranny hump.

lawsoncl said:
Don't know if its' the same on a 92, but the tranny cable on an 89 is 10 foot long and snakes under the dash, out near the drivers fender and then up and down to the tranny. It was a b*tch to run, btw. My 93 ZJ has a real short cable that pokes through the tranny hump.

how did you yank it out....mine is not moving and i dont really wanna remove the center console if i dont have to.

I didn't have an old one to yank it out. I was replacing an AX-15 manual with the AW4 auto. I had the center console torn out anyway to change the shifter. The donor vehicle for the cable already had it's center console and dash torn out, which made things much easier. My memory is a bit vague, but I think the donor cable was zip tied in a few places under the dash.

Back