• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using Wrangler door hinges on XJ doors

XtremeJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever use Wrangler door hinges on an XJ? I think it will be alot easier for door removal. Any idea where to get them cheap?

If you have a pre 97 then you can easily modify the stock hinges for lift off removal. It'll be a ton easier than trying to adapt wrangler hinges to an XJ door and door jamb. Just cut off the lower ear from the door side and trim the pin up. It's what I did, and works great.

Static-XJ said:
If you have a pre 97 then you can easily modify the stock hinges for lift off removal. It'll be a ton easier than trying to adapt wrangler hinges to an XJ door and door jamb. Just cut off the lower ear from the door side and trim the pin up. It's what I did, and works great.

Did you get any sagging after this conversion? The driver's pin doesn't like to stay down now and that side sags a little because of it. Sounds like a great idea though.

grizzley02360 said:
Did you get any sagging after this conversion? The driver's pin doesn't like to stay down now and that side sags a little because of it. Sounds like a great idea though.
Nope, not sag. And the hinges do have some adjustment built into them, so you can adjust them to compensate.

the only question i have, is will my xj be legal on the road with no doors. i know the wrgler guys are all set, but are there any laws saying "if your supossed to have 'em you gotta have 'em" ?

I don't know about your state but here all you need is a mirror on the drivers side. No law saying you must have doors but one saying you must keep yor car , truck safe ??? So its up to each cop weather they think it is safe or not some here dont care others do....

Around here, I think it's technically one outside mirror, but I've never had problems without. Cops around here generally don't bother with things like that. Cops in your area may be sticklers for that type of stuff.

VA has a 4" door lip law, stating that you can legally drive without doors as long as you still have your mirror and a 4" lip at the door sill. Guess what the XJ's door sill measures EXACTLY.....4"!! :D

Back