• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 SYE Recommendations

vwozsxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I've searched the forum and found mention of the hack-n-tap SYE for a 242 (not an option by the way, I like things done "right" if you know what I mean) and I am looking for a quality SYE for my 91 Cherokee. I'm installing a RE 4.5" Superflex Susp and Longarm Upgrade and for the life of me I cant find a decent SYE for my NP242J. You cant swing a dead cat without hitting a SYE for a 231 but noooooooo, not for the 242. Any suggstions/recommendations would not only be helpful, but really appreciated. I found a guy that sells a double cardon (cv style) rear driveline that is telling my that with it I dont need a SYE, but I am skeptical as always until I hear from someone who has been there or at least seen that :confused1. I will be using this as a daily driver but belong to my local Search and Rescue so off-roading is a pagers beep away, but I'd like to keep her driveable and dependable. Also another quick question as this is my first XJ build, will throwing away the rear sway bar make her drive like a death trap? My girlfriend drives it from time to time and I would hate to get a call saying she is on her side in the middle of a city intersection. Thanks for your help folks :sunshine:

I was not a big fan of the Hack and Tap type of SYE. Others are and have had not problems however it was not for me. So I selected the Toms Woods SYE for my 242 Transfer Box. The Tom Woods kit replaces the output shaft of the 242 box. It is not the cheap way to go. I am however very happy with the product, service, and support that I got from TW (Tom Woods). I also wanted a yoke output and not a flange output on the rear drive. Drive shaft was a great fit and top quality. No vibrations at 4 inches of lift. SYE instructions were good. You will need an angle finder and a tape measure to provide the info to TW. Then you will need a quality pair of external snap ring pliers with flat "tongs" for the SYE install. In addition, TW will tell you what size angle shim you need to properly align the rear end up.

Link: http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Last edited:
I believe the Tom Wood's SYE is just a hack and tap that he does for you. In other words, the HnT is the only way to SYE a 242 transfer case it just depends if you do it or if he does it and you replace the shaft. I do not believe it is an upgraded shaft. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

For the record I have a 242 with HnT and it has been great for the last 3 years. I don't know what the Tom Wood's costs, but I did my HnT for under $160 with shaft. I think his was over $600 with shaft.

What is wrong with a hack and tap ?

The basic mechanical theory is sound, hack and tap failures are caused by improper installation.

you don't need the rear swaybar, it's good for scrap thats about it!
I daily drive mine with 4.5 inches of lift and half the time i run no swaybars and with the RE springs it's fine.

I believe the Tom Wood's SYE is just a hack and tap that he does for you. In other words, the HnT is the only way to SYE a 242 transfer case it just depends if you do it or if he does it and you replace the shaft. I do not believe it is an upgraded shaft. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

For the record I have a 242 with HnT and it has been great for the last 3 years. I don't know what the Tom Wood's costs, but I did my HnT for under $160 with shaft. I think his was over $600 with shaft.

Negative! Tom Woods SYE kit for the 242 has a new machined shaft. He machines them from the core that is sent in by the customer.

What is wrong with a hack and tap ?

The basic mechanical theory is sound, hack and tap failures are caused by improper installation.

Yes, failures are caused by improper taping of the shaft after it is cut.

I was not a big fan of the Hack and Tap type of SYE. Others are and have had not problems however it was not for me. So I selected the Toms Woods SYE for my 242 Transfer Box. The Tom Woods kit replaces the output shaft of the 242 box. It is not the cheap way to go. I am however very happy with the product, service, and support that I got from TW (Tom Woods). I also wanted a yoke output and not a flange output on the rear drive. Drive shaft was a great fit and top quality. No vibrations at 4 inches of lift. SYE instructions were good. You will need an angle finder and a tape measure to provide the info to TW. Then you will need a quality pair of external snap ring pliers with flat "tongs" for the SYE install. In addition, TW will tell you what size angle shim you need to properly align the rear end up.

Link: http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Thanks, I will look into the TW option, I've been a professional mechanic for over 20 years....damn that makes me feel old... but anyway, I prefer to do things the best way possible so I dont have any surprises later. I'm sure I wouldnt have any problems with a HnT, but its just not the way I like to do things ;) I dont mind spending a little more dough as long as I get a superior finished product

Negative! Tom Woods SYE kit for the 242 has a new machined shaft. He machines them from the core that is sent in by the customer.

True, but it sounds like all he machines is the spline area which doesn't make the actual shaft any stronger - so it is essentially still just a hack and tap, right? Unlike the HD SYE you can get for the 231 which gets you a physically stronger shaft.

hack n tap, minus the hacking.

if the guy is a 20year mechanic, he's capable of doing a PROFESSIONAL-GRADE hack n tap, or he can PROFESSIONALLY swap over to an np231.

rednecks do hack n taps all the freaking time, and they dont have failures because of the hack n tap.

your possibilities have been outlined, what exactly is the problem? just XXXXing do it. it seems like you just want to throw money at the problem.

True, but it sounds like all he machines is the spline area which doesn't make the actual shaft any stronger - so it is essentially still just a hack and tap, right? Unlike the HD SYE you can get for the 231 which gets you a physically stronger shaft.

Not quite true.

I compared my old original shaft with the Tom Woods machined shaft. The TW shaft is shorter and has splines where the original shaft does not. The TW output shaft is shorter than a hack and tap and I believe better supported by the output bearing than and hack and tap is. I am not saying a hack and tap won't work, merely that I think the TW setup is better.

The TW setup is more expensive and there is a core charge for the return of your old shaft. As long as the old shaft is straight and undamaged the core charge is returned.

Your call for what you want to do.

Good luck

TW *is* a hack-n-tap, but it's professionally done in a machine shop, and it comes with a driveshaft and warranty. It's the best off-the-shelf option.

If the OP is committed to superior tech there's the option of switching to H1/HD parts link.

Huh? That doesn't make since Raptor.....or, maybe I'm confused at what you're saying.
I had a lengthy conversation with Tom Woods on the phone when I was doing my SYE. What Tom ships for the 242 SYE kit is NOT a new shaft. He takes a stock output shaft(cores, just like you said), puts it in a lathe and basically, hacks it off and taps it. It's done with precision and it's done well.

Weirdo, pretty much summed it up. It's a hack and tap that he does for you.......on a lathe.

With that said, I did my own, with the 242 in the Jeep. It was a piece of cake. It was a very straight clean cut too. I was actually kind of impressed with myself.:D I used a cutoff wheel with the Jeep in reverse. I went slow, didn't let it get hot and it turned out great. Don't be scared off by the hack and tap. It boils down to either swaping in a 231, doing the 242 H&T yourself or paying to have someone else do it for you.

Last edited:
Relatively obscure meaning "throw the part numbers into google and have all of them ordered within 10 minutes"?

I picked up my 3103-27CV relatively easily, and the rest of the parts are from Fastenal or the junkyard. Of course, I have a 96, so I didn't have to screw around with redoing the output shaft seal + tailcone.

Relatively obscure meaning "throw the part numbers into google and have all of them ordered within 10 minutes"?

http://4xshaft.com/SYE/242LateDesignLatetransfercase27spline.html

:wierd:

I guess I've just been working the parts counter too long and know how valuable time can be...and the dangers of "well some guy on the internet did it" vs. the business that has sold thousands of the same thing with brilliant results. Inventive? Sure. Necessary? Hardly. There are other proven options out there. It might cost more, but it's backed by warranty and technical support.

I like the full-time 4wheel drive option of the NP242, and I've been running the Tom Wood's 242 SYE almost 4 years now. It has worked flawlessly and the only vibes I get now are from my MTR/K's doing 70mph on the freeway. It really is the only option other than doing the HnT yourself. You need to determine which will serve you better for your current and future needs: the 241 or 242. The 241 has much more aftermarket support and is a lot less expensive to rebuild. The 242 has the full-time option which is great on snowy and wet roads-or blasting down the dirt roads of the Jawbone or Johnson Valley areas!!

Oh yeah, rear sway bars suck!

Back