• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 ABS delete

2stix

NAXJA Forum User
ok im sure i will get the (do a search) deal here, and believe me i have tried with no success, so please help me. i want to delete the ABS braking system on my 1989 XJ. the system has failed and i have no brakes. what i would like to know is what is the best system ( ie: brake booster, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, ect) to look for at a junk yard. ive heard the 96+ YJ booster is good, but then i heard to get an entire system from a 96+ XJ, then ive heard more and more. is there a prefered donor vehicle for this swap? i do plan to upgrade to a dana 44 rear (currantly a dana 35 non C clip with LSD) and later add discs, so something compatable to it would be a +.
i might add that this is a trail rig with 3.5 lift and 31" tires max. not a daily driver and mostly trailered to the desert to explore.
thanks for any help.

Its really easy to do.. You can get a stock booster/ master from a 87-94 xj that is single diaphram and retain your existing prop valve.. Or upgrade to either a 95+ xj dual diaphram or the 99-04 WJ dual diaphram booster/master.. The 87-94 will use many of the fittings that you remove from the ABS set up and you will need to shorten one line and make two. If you go the dual set up, they use metric fittings at the master and a bubble flair, a little more complicated.. With 31's on a trail rig its a toss up.. I ran the 95+ xj set up for 3 years with 32's and it works well, but the WJ with 33's works great..

perfect, thanks guys. im thinking id definatly like to use the double diaphram booster, and most likely from the WJ. obviously price and availability will help with final decision.

You can get a WJ master/booster for about $75 shipped from www.car-part.com.

The work can be a little complicated and requires both bubble and inverted flare tools; but you are only an hour and a half or so away, if you PM me I can probably help you late January.

Cal, thats a generous offer, thanks. but thats around the time our first baby is due (feb 2) so im sure ill be pre occupied around that time. im trying to get all the info i can about what i need to do to this XJ, so while the wife is home for the first couple months, i can work on the jeep and get it ready for when the baby can start going for rides. :eeks1:

Ok. Start here, this article is about putting a WJ master/booster into a renix XJ. Deleting the ABS isn't a lot more complicated, you just remove a lot more gear and take a few seconds to figure out what gets replumbed to the prop valve.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/brakes/xj_wjbrakes03/booster/

If you decide to tackle it, I'll give you my cell # and you can call with any problems you run into.

great info, thanks. i saved it and will print it out so when its time to do the swap i can refresh my mind. seems to be a simple swap and am sure ill have no problem. the hard lines are about the only issue i can see having a problem with since i do not have the proper flaring tools. if you dont mind i may contact you at that time for some help. i appreciate your generosity.

well i called a couple places from the car-parts.com site and it seems most places sell the booster and master seperate. i did find a 2003 grand cherokee booster/master for $100 plus $15 shipping. not sure if i should get the proportioning valve from the WJ or just use my XJ one. the more i research that the more i get conflicting remarks. i will run the non c clip D35 for a while, but i did get a free 8.8 with disk brakes. so with the added disc break power i may then need the proportining valve when i do the axle swap. i understand the hard lines are the difficulty with thier mismatched threads and fittings, but since i am ordering online and not junk yard walking, i will have to make my own lines. thanks for the advise guys.

2stix said:
well i called a couple places from the car-parts.com site and it seems most places sell the booster and master seperate. i did find a 2003 grand cherokee booster/master for $100 plus $15 shipping. not sure if i should get the proportioning valve from the WJ or just use my XJ one. the more i research that the more i get conflicting remarks. i will run the non c clip D35 for a while, but i did get a free 8.8 with disk brakes. so with the added disc break power i may then need the proportining valve when i do the axle swap. i understand the hard lines are the difficulty with thier mismatched threads and fittings, but since i am ordering online and not junk yard walking, i will have to make my own lines. thanks for the advise guys.

If you get the booster/master and don't have disc on the back stick with your stock prop valve. The abs version has a plug in one of the line fittings for the front circuit. Then when you do the disc swap on the rear just try to find one off a ZJ with disc/disc, and that should work fine. The hard lines will be a 10mm fitting for the front circuit, and a 12mm fitting for the rear circuit. You should be able to find the dorman fittings at a napa.. EXAMPLE:Edelmann 265000 "3/16x12-1.0" Edelmann 271300 "3/16x10-1.0". Have fun and look forward to hearing how it turns out. Don't be afraid to ask questions either...

sounds like you are on the right track with your upgrades.. i'll point out one thing i didnt see mentioned yet though. your ABS D30 will have the larger 297X u-joints as opposed to the standard 260X units.. dont let them go with the old axle if you end up swapping it out for some reason.

perfect, thanks for the part #s clean-RC. that should help out some for sure. and yes i have read that useing the stock prop valve with the stock D35, so your advice seems to be right on.

sidriptide, thats a good point. i didnt plan to swap out the front at any time since i dont plan to run anything larger than 31" tires. but for those that are not in the know of the differant front ends, thats great advice aswell. i did pick up a nice book (High Performance JEEP cherokee XJ Builders guide by Eric Zappe) that has alot of good info, including the differant front ends. were i learned what i actually have. so be asured i will be keeping this front end for a long time. im sure it will suit my needs very well. and thanks for the heads up.

Nothing like bringing an old post back to life.
The abs on my 89, has finally reached the point where I'm scared to drive it. It's time to gut it. My plan is to do the swap with the 96 dual booster and master cylinder from an XJ. Just buy them from autozone.

Back