• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Thermostat housing for 4.0 ?

96 Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Is there an aftermarket thermostat housing with 2 temp sensor ports? (for 4.0) Mechanic suggested there might be, but I have not found one.

I believe Hesco makes one. Ask Gojeep, I followed his setup with a highflow pump and thermo housing from whatever company it was he used.

bajacalal said:
I would get a NAPA aftermarket housing or better yet, a junkyard one, drill it and use a tap to make the correct threads. Its not hard to do if youre careful and maybe practice a little first (hence using a cheap junkyard one).

I already thought about that, but if there is a housing available already done, that would be my first choice. Thanks for the suggestion though. I may have to do just that.

xjj33p3r said:
I believe Hesco makes one. Ask Gojeep, I followed his setup with a highflow pump and thermo housing from whatever company it was he used.

Checked the Hesco website and they did not show anything except a re-worked OEM housing. Sent Marcus an e-mail.

Thanks,
Neal

if by 4.0 you mean non-ho, then you can gain one sensor by using a hesco (or any) theromostat housing from the newer, 4.0 HO engines. that's what i did, to get it out of the radiator (who decided to put a temp sensor in what should be about the coolest location in the colling system?)

dfreeman616 said:
if by 4.0 you mean non-ho, then you can gain one sensor by using a hesco (or any) theromostat housing from the newer, 4.0 HO engines. that's what i did, to get it out of the radiator (who decided to put a temp sensor in what should be about the coolest location in the colling system?)

I believe my 96 is an HO engine. The OEM sensor is in the thermostat housing.

xj9140 said:
or you could just unscrew on of the plugs on the side of the engene block. My gauge screws into the side of the block. under the exuast manafold.

Someone told me there should be plugs on the head, but I have not found any. I'll look further.

Thanks

Back