• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lq9 xj build!

barney3

NAXJA Forum User
I am starting my Lq9 xj build so I decided to start a thread to help others and maybe you guys could answer some questions. I'm relatively new to engine swaps but I've always done my own work and maintenance on my 2003 wj. I'm sure I'll have some dumb questions!

So I purchased a 2005 lq9 for $1200 with wiring harness and 150k miles. Also got a 4l60e from a 99 camaro for $125 with 80k miles on it. Just purchased a 2001 xj sport last week with 160k miles for $3500. Absolutely no rust on the jeep but it does have a few dents and dings that I'll fix later. Perfect interior except for I'll have to replace the headliner.

I have access to a large welding welding shop and plenty of tool so but I'll most likely be using mostly Novak parts for the swap because of time saving and simplicity. I've read through a bunch of threads so I'm still trying to piece together how I'm gonna do things.

So I am in the process of reworking the wiring harness to standalone following lt1swap. Found out its a dbc harness when the guy gave me a dbw throttle body. No big deal because I'll be using an ls1 intake manifold. All I have left to do is the fuse box and relays. Wasn't too difficult to do after reading through lt1swap and watching a few YouTube videos. Keep in mind I have little wiring experience in vehicles.

Next up is the engine. I am currently rebuild almost everything so I have a fresh start. I will be using ls6 cam and springs. Using the ls1 intake and ls1 water pump. Not sure how I'm gonna do the ac and alternator relocation yet. I might try to use the stock jeep ac system and make some kind of adapter. I'll get to that once I get the engine in the jeep.

So I've been looking at radiators and I think I'm gonna go with the Novak radiator with the three fans. I know cooling is a big issue in these swaps. I'll probably use the stock jeep pump with corvette regulator. Gonna try to use the stock gauge cluster UT if it's too much of a hassle I'll do a custom setup.

So once I get this engine to the machine shop to be honed, I'll put it back together and start removing the 4.0.

Here's a few points for discussion that you guys might have experience with.

How is the Novak radiator? Anyone use the Novak fans? Is Griffin a better option?

Anyone use the stock jeep ac? Or a combination of gm ac and jeep components?

Gonna try to use the stock trans shifter but might go with a lokar if it doesn't work out. I believe Novak has a cable for the stock shifter.

Any other advice is welcome! I will try to move the build along as quick as the moneys flows in!

Once I get the engine and running properly I'll sell my wj and start doing cosmetic work. I plan to use 35in tires with a 3in lift and notch custom fender flares, jcr front and rear bumpers, low profile roof rack, some kind of light bar. Probably try to restore the paint at some point. This will be a daily driver by the way.

I'll be posting this in other forums to get as much info as possible! Thanks!

7ffx5jf.jpg

2UevBdU.jpg

fSHQoDt.jpg

9SmKsNs.jpg

3hcHvVj.jpg

cByjVND.jpg

i8DiDB8.jpg

6YV08M4.jpg

CYecgmN.jpg

ZVEhOJc.jpg

AennQgF.jpg

are you going 2wd or 4wd? swapping the output on the trans to go 4wd? what accessories are you going with, truck, corvette, f body, etc?
If you are going with f body, i think i have a brand new balancer if you need one.
If you're going to corvette, the c6 water pump has a shorter pulley and works with c5 accessories. gives you a little more room in front of the waterpump and looks cleaner.

are you going 2wd or 4wd? swapping the output on the trans to go 4wd? what accessories are you going with, truck, corvette, f body, etc?
If you are going with f body, i think i have a brand new balancer if you need one.
If you're going to corvette, the c6 water pump has a shorter pulley and works with c5 accessories. gives you a little more room in front of the waterpump and looks cleaner.

It will be 4wd. From what I understand it doesn't matter if the trans is 4wd or 2wd the Novak transfer case adapter changes the output shaft either way. Might be getting a different transmission here in a few day. It has less miles on it which is always good. Not sure if I'm gonna go fbody or corvette accessories. Depends on how much room I need up front after mocking up the radiator and electric Volvo fan. I think fbody accessories are a little cheaper. My engine block, heads, and crank are at the machine shop right now getting serviced. Should start pulling the 4.0 in the next few days and sorting out all the wiring.

corvette accessories are about the same price. I think i paid 75 for the alt/ps bracket, 120 for the alternator, maybe 120 for the PS stuff, Idler pulley i took off the truck motor, 70 for the balancer, and tensioner was probably 60 bucks. all brand new.

corvette accessories are about the same price. I think i paid 75 for the alt/ps bracket, 120 for the alternator, maybe 120 for the PS stuff, Idler pulley i took off the truck motor, 70 for the balancer, and tensioner was probably 60 bucks. all brand new.

Where did you get it from? Ebay?

ebay, rock auto, pep boys.
Pep boys was having a 30% off sale if you bought online and picked up in the store, so that's where i got quite a few parts. Plus i'd rather spend a few bucks more in order to have an easy warranty exchange if things break.

ebay, rock auto, pep boys.
Pep boys was having a 30% off sale if you bought online and picked up in the store, so that's where i got quite a few parts. Plus i'd rather spend a few bucks more in order to have an easy warranty exchange if things break.

I think I'll go with the corvette accessories after looking through ebay and rock auto. Looking at the c5 alternator and ps pump bracket. Looks like it mounts the alternator even with the the intake manifold which is good. Have you done this swap on your jeep?

I think I'll go with the corvette accessories after looking through ebay and rock auto. Looking at the c5 alternator and ps pump bracket. Looks like it mounts the alternator even with the the intake manifold which is good. Have you done this swap on your jeep?

in the middle of a swap in my camaro. just got it running last night actually.
i used all c5 stuff aside from the c6 water pump.

pretty level or even below. i'll double check in person, but in the pics i have it looks below the intake.

Good, that's what I was hoping. Couldn't really tell from pictures. Looks like my truck alternator won't work with the bracket unless someone knows how to mod it to fit. I guess a new alternator wouldn't hurt.

alt is lower than my throttle body, but pretty close to level or below the ls1 intake manifold.

Back