• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped Bolt

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing the water pump on my wife's car. It is held by three bolts. Two of them came off, but the third one got stripped. I used only a flat wrench, but it was an 8mm bolt and it got rounded after only two tries.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance.

Small pipe wrench? Or one of those funky old oblong wrenches, not really sure how to describe it, but it is kind of a cross between a standard box wrench and a pipe wrench. The head of it (the box) is oblong and on a swivel/pivot. It tightens up the more pressure to give it.
I've gotten a few stripped bolts out with one of them when a regular wrench or socket won't work.

The irwins work amazing, I used them this afternoon. I did buy both the standard and metric sets, to have twice the sizes to choose from...

^those methods are worth a shot

but if you have a welder:

weld a nut to the stripped bolt.

the heat from the weld will also help break it loose

Thank you for your replies.

I have the irwins and also heard that heat works. Now the questions are:

1. What do I heat? The bolt head or the body?
2. Do I try the irwins while metal is hot, or I have to wait until it cools down a little?

Thanks

I have normally had the best luck in hard to access spots by taking a dremel with an abrasive cut off wheel and slicing off the head of the bolt.

You should then be able to pull the pump. Once that is done, spray down the point where the bolt enters the block with a good penetrant. I use Acetone/ATF.

I then grab it with a good pair of visegrips. If that doesn't work, I then heat the bolt shank until very hot, and vicegrip it again.

I have normally had the best luck in hard to access spots by taking a dremel with an abrasive cut off wheel and slicing off the head of the bolt.

You should then be able to pull the pump. Once that is done, spray down the point where the bolt enters the block with a good penetrant. I use Acetone/ATF.

I then grab it with a good pair of visegrips. If that doesn't work, I then heat the bolt shank until very hot, and vicegrip it again.

this..
but i tend to heat the item it is threaded into. though i guess it doesnt really matter with a small bolt, my though is that if you heat the block, the area will expand and pull away from the bolt, whereas heating the bolt will make the bolt expand in the hole and get tighter.
at least that's how Mr Prescott explained in in shop class.
also i keep a pack of small birthday candles in the tool box. after you heat the part, touch the joint with the end of the candle and the hot wax will flow into the threads. wax=lube and it doesnt burn off like spray stuff. works great and they you just burn the wax off afterward. another Mr Prescott trick.
small bolt just take your time. heat and cool a few times before you crank on it. the last thing you want to do is break it again and have to drill it.

Back