• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ auto trans

GTsenre

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy just bought an 88 XJ with the 4.0 for $350, but the trans slips real bad. We went to the junk yard to find a new one and the guy said there was 2 types of auto trannys one is a lot harder to find. Does anyone know the difference in the 2? And are the 2 interchangable?

no it just doesn't want to work, checked spencers, and swartz's

Last edited:
THe difference that theyre talking about is one is the one that is used in the 84-86 and the other is the one used in 87+. The older one is a chrysler I think maybe even a chevy, dont quote me on the brand as someone will chime in with the correct model #, and the newer one is the Aisin Warner or the AW4 tranny. This AW4 is the one you will need. IF they have one at the boneyard look down the passenger side of the tranny body and youll see the name Aisin and a string of numbers next to it and thatll be the one you need. If it doesnt say that then its not the right tranny. But this is after you check the tranny fluid level and integrity and know if yours is toast. These trannys are pretty tough so its a hard judgement to make without checking that first.HTH

Mike

Jeep always used an AW-4 automatic transmission with the 4.0L engine, from when the engine was introduced in 1987 right to the last XJ built in 2001. However, around '91 the output spline count went from 21 splines to 23 splines, so an AW-4 from a late model XJ will not mate up with your transfer case. But you could buy the complete tranny and transfer case, and pop the assembly right into an '88.

If the junk yard isn't paying attention, they might be confusing Cherokee with Grand Cherokee. The original GC in 1993 also used the AW-4, but in 1994 the GC started using a Chrysler automatic tranny behind the 4.0L. Perhaps that's what the yard is thinking.

The pre-'87 auto is a Chrysler 904 and it has a small GM bell housing bolt pattern to fit the 2.8L V-6 and 2.5L I-4 engines. It won't even bolt up to a 4.0L block, so it isn't under consideration.

Thanks for posting the spline count change Beez, it slipped my mind

Mike

GTsenre said:
no it just doesn't want to work, checked spencers, and swartz's

if you go out 35, past freeburg, on your left, you'll see a sign that just says "Cherokee Parts" with a picture of a cherokee on it. You make the next left after that sign and then drive until you see a yard full of Jeeps.

they're open M-F, 9-4, and i think there are some saturday hours.

Back