• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'Question about high ATF level . . .

Don Becker

NAXJA Forum User
I checked the ATF level in my wife's 91XJ last evening and I see that it's a bit above the full mark ('say 1/4 inch or so above) . . . . . is that significant-enough that I should drain it down to the full level? The transmission and torque converter were recently flushed, new filter and refilled (overfilled) . . . it's not leaking. And, 'all seems well . . . . . TIA! Don

I seem to remember if you checked it with the engine off and it's hot, it will show high. I beleive the drill is "check while hot, idleing in neutral, after running thru all the gears".

Yes, make sure you're checking it with the engine on, hot, and in neutral. Check it several times before you decide that it's overfilled...it is hard to read. If it's still overfilled after that, yes, you should drain out the extra.

ZmOz said:
Yes, make sure you're checking it with the engine on, hot, and in neutral. Check it several times before you decide that it's overfilled...it is hard to read. If it's still overfilled after that, yes, you should drain out the extra.

Yes, 'guess I should have mentioned that . . . I did check it hot/running in park and a couple of times. Don

Then yes, you should drain out the extra. It's not hard, the AW4 has a drain plug...it's just like draining the oil.

I accidentally WAAAAYYY overfilled my tranny by almost 2 quarts before a 4k mile roadtrip. Being lazy, and in a hurry, I didn't bother draining out the excess and didn't experience any problems. Probably will eventually, but nothing blew up or anything.

Back