• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 modified about to die

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,

My 2001 Sport is fading. Something definitely going on in the engine (clanking sounds at start up and at low rpms). 215,000 miles. Trade-in value is about $750. What would you all do, sell it or part it out?

Also, I need a new DD and am looking for something relatively new and still in production. Thinking about a 4Runner (I KNOW!!!!). Anyone know if there are good aftermarket bumpers, etc out there for these?

I've had 5 XJ's from 89 to this '01. Best damn car ever made, but I need a reliable DD, not a trail toy. This one lived in Michigan for 11 years and has serious rust issues, but it has great aftermarket bumpers, 60th anniversary 16" wheels, new Hancook M/S tires, new HD shocks, KC HiLiter driving and fog lights, Thule racks, etc.... $750 trade-in is bullsh!t.

I'm in Victor, ID now. Don't have the $$ to buy another XJ and move the good parts over.

Thanks for any advice, as always.

Sounds like you are done with XJs and leaning toward parting out.

You know the value of whats left of it so go that route.

Since you have a love for Jeeps, maybe explore those options for a DD.

I went GMC Canyon for a new daily and love it, especially with the diesel

If you like it and still want an XJ put a used engine in it for ~$500 and keep it going.

If you don't want an XJ anymore parting out will put the most money in your pocket but will take more time and you will have to deal with people.

If you just want it gone try craigslist might get more, but $750 really isn't a bad offer for a rust bucket with a bad motor. The rust is what kills its value, nobody wants to deal with that shit here out west.

I would by another XJ that is in good condition and strip the one you have for spare parts. 4 runners are under powered if you ask me.

Back