• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 shafts?

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I want to visit the P&P to get a passenger side axle shaft for my XJ. What other D44 shafts will fit the 1987 D44.

My plan is to get another shaft, rebuild it complete then replace the unit now in service with the rebuilt unit thus reducing down time.

I don't know of anything but a pass side XJ shaft

If you can find a D44 in the P&P you really ought to grab the whole thing. Even if you don't want the housing, I bet you can find someone who does and who will pay you more for it than you will have to pay.

You might also ask around for someone who has upgraded shafts and has the originals available. I have a pair that I would be happy to sell, but odds are I am about as far from you as possible.

TJ shafts will work,But the bearing retainer plates will need to be replaced with XJ plates (IIRC)

All the aftermarket are listed as being for the XJ and TJ D44 so those are probably the only two options

I was hoping the shafts would be compatible with several other D44's out there. My search ring is very narrow indeed.

If you can find a D44 in the P&P you really ought to grab the whole thing. Even if you don't want the housing, I bet you can find someone who does and who will pay you more for it than you will have to pay.

You might also ask around for someone who has upgraded shafts and has the originals available. I have a pair that I would be happy to sell, but odds are I am about as far from you as possible.

Thanks Anak for the offer. California is a bit far from Florida.

My plan is to get another shaft, rebuild it complete then replace the unit now in service with the rebuilt unit thus reducing down time.

What needs fixed with your current axle?

What needs fixed with your current axle?

The wheel bearings on one side is bad. I could do the work myself if I have a press to install the bearing race and collar. The other options are,...
1) remove the shaft and take it along with the replacement parts to a shop and have them replace them. That means I will not be able to use the XJ.
2) take the XJ to a shop and have them do it all.
With another shaft, I could have it ready to be replaced when time permits.

My XJ have discs on the D44 so the TJ bearings and retainers will work just fine.

TJ's and Wranglers on the whole are not common in the yards around here. I went to a yard today that have a 4 cylinder TJ that had frontal crash. The vultures got to it before me and all that's left are the engine, a disfigured tub and deformed chassis. OH! I did get an almost new brake master cylinder reservoir to replace the cracked/ready to leak unit on the XJ.
MJ's are few and far between in part of the US. There is another yard that I plan to visit tomorrow. I will keep my fingers crossed.

My XJ have discs on the D44 so the TJ bearings and retainers will work just fine.

The later year(s) bearing retainer has a different bolt pattern.
But I was going to say, you can p/u a new chromo shaft for a 115$

Could always buy new shafts. I screwed the seals and bearings on my TJ Rubicon D44s (totally my fault) and bought a set of Revolution 4340 shafts; they came preloaded with Timken bearings and seals so only paid a little extra for the 4340. https://revolutiongear.com/product/d44-03-06-jeep-tj-lj-rubicon-non-wdisc-brakes-30-spline/

Am I reading this correct? The ad says everything is pressed together (I assume) prior to shipping. The brake backing plate should be the first thing installed on the shaft both disc or drum brakes,...Am I right? If my recollections are correct, then the buyer would have to remove everything from the shaft and first install the brake bracket,...Or do they?

If I do not find something local in a few days then I will spring for a new shaft including bearing, seal/s and collar and have a local machine shop press every thing together.

The brake backing plate goes on the axle, not the shaft.

But ehall has a TJ - so the retaining plates that came with that kit would have worked.

Our XJ's use a different retainer plate (different bolt pattern).

I bough a G2 Kit - 96-2033-1-30 - which comes with new shafts, bearings, seals, collars, and retaining plates for about $300. You can't use the retaining plates because they're for a TJ. You need to use your old retaining plates or buy replacements. Spicer 35916 is the XJ D44 retaining plate. Spicer 42101 will work but isn't really the right one.

When I bought the aftermarket shafts for my D44 the seller needed to know what I was running in terms of brakes so they could set it up with the correct retaining plate. I would expect that from most any seller of a D44 axle assembly.

The wheel bearings on one side is bad. I could do the work myself if I have a press to install the bearing race and collar. The other options are,...
1) remove the shaft and take it along with the replacement parts to a shop and have them replace them. That means I will not be able to use the XJ.
2) take the XJ to a shop and have them do it all.
With another shaft, I could have it ready to be replaced when time permits.

I've done the bearing with both a press and also using a long pipe with the right ID and a hammer. The press is much easier. Heating the retaining collar, cooling the shaft with ice, and lightly oiling the shaft before driving it on will help things along. A couple of tips from experience - don't forget to put the retainer plate on first, then the seal. Put the retainer plate on facing the proper direction.

MJs with D44s are pretty rare. I was at the junkyard last week and there was a 4-cyl longbed MJ in the parking lot in pretty good shape. I didn't they even made the 4-cyl in a longbed?

I just realized last week that the only major original mechanical parts on my MJ are the xfer case and the rear drive shaft. And I have a 241 xfer case on the bench waiting to get rebuilt and installed to replace the leaking 231.

Just to clarify I am running the TJ Rubicon D44 housings with the disc brake setup on my XJ. Revolution offers D44 shafts for disc and drum, TJ and XJ, so I am sure they could install whatever seal retainer plate you wanted.

Back