• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Steering/Suspension maint."Bang-for-buck"? (Stock)

naxjxj

NAXJA Forum User
2WD XJ '95 110k

Doesn't desperately need anything - but steering is kinda sloppy, just general wear - nothing big.
(minor death-wobble at 60+ isn't big deal).

TOTALLY STOCK 2WD -and going to stay that way. It's great !

What's been your best "bang for the buck" item changed ? (not just in $$ terms, but also ease-of-labor)

2 things I'm planning on :
- Sway-Bay Bushings ($10-15)
- Steering Shock-Damper ($35)

Which of additional following would have greatest impact ? :

- Tie-Rod ends
- Upper Ball-Joints
- Lower Ball-Joints
- Drag-link Sleeve
- Sway-Bar Links

Last edited:
Changing random parts will really get you no where. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth with the car on the ground while you check everything for play. Track bar is a common failure and if it's worn can have a huge impact on the front end.

When you say "Trackbar failure" - you must mean the ends/connecting points, not the bar itself :
the Ball Stud end ?
or the Bolted end ?

(unfortunately, it'd be weeks before I could get anyone to help - and wanted to work on this next week, when I finally have some days off. So I'll have to make educated guess, based on general wear of an otherwise good vehicle)

Yes the stud end. But seriously,an educated guess is a fancy way of throwing parts at it. At a minimum jack up the front end and shake everything down, use a pry bar, etc.

Give a stranger a beer for 60 sec of shaking a steering wheel!

As part of your maint./ upgrade, get the V8 ZJ tie rod/ ends.
Also with this, you need to do a tape measure toe alignment. Unless you plan to take it to a shop.

Totally stock Jeeps are the coolest. First off that stabilizer for the steering. Its cheap and will eventually start to moan... swap it.
Steering brace:
The one that comes on it is crap. You likely have slop because its broken and tearing your unibody. Buy a big brace for the steering gear box and you should be set.
Shocks and leafs:
Change those and this baby will handle better than all the crap excuses for 4x4's 2017 has to offer.
If you still have problems after that naxja is always here to help but providing you have good tires under you it definitely wont be costly

Back