• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bellhousing dripping trans fluid

Cereal

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
New member here from Michigan. Just picked up a 2000 sport 4x4 4.0L automatic on Halloween. On my drive home the transmission died.... welcome home.

Swapped out to a used transmission today. Put in new torque converter, new trans filter, dumped out as much fluid as i can and flushed my transcooler with my mityvac to make sure everything clean of the old smoked fluid.

Everything went smooth but when i started the car, I'm getting a trans fluid leak right in the middle at the bottom of the bellhousing. Consistent drip every 5 seconds or so when running.

So i want to fix this and have searched and seem like might be input shaft or pump housing bushing. Has anyone dealt with this recently and happen to have a parts list on just replacing everything to be safe? Been searching Rock auto and gets confusing trying to find everything i need

Thank you for any help. :yelclap:

Not an expert on this, could it just be the torque converter is not seated properly?

Other time I had a leak in this area was a crack in the torque converter. Different car but I suppose it’s possible too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you replace the transmission input and output seals, and lube them, before the install ?

I did not replace the seals, and thinking these are the culprit. Torque converter seated fine and don't think that is the issue.

So about the input seal. Will replace this next time I drop the trans.
What about the pump housing bushing? Is this a common one that leaks also? Saw a few posts about this being a culprit but seemed a little more in depth than just a seal. I've never dealt with replacing this on an Auto trans, some posts said to replace a bushing and an updated nylon ring or something on the inside?

A part number / list would be much appreciated. Tried looking on rock auto and can't find it honestly haha.

Pump bushing is sealed by convertor seal. The only way to know for sure is to inspect it when you change convertor seal. Good news is, I personally havent heard of pump bushing failures being a common thing.

HTH and welcome.

Back