• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle Position Sensor

RenoHogHead

NAXJA Forum User
I think my TPS is going out on me. I would like to do it myself if possible just havent done it before. Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to replace, any special tools needed, does any kind of calibration etc. need to be done to it when installed. 89 limited I6.

two star head bolts and a electrial connector. when mine went out it took me about 20 min cause all i had was hex and it was in a tight place and cold so i keep droping the damn thing in the snow.

If you do a search you will find an abundance of info on how to calibrate the TPS. Not sure if the 89 needs adjusting or not. My 87 did but I'm not sure what I did with the document I created with the info. I got the info from this forum btw. If I find it I'll PM you.

Search is good food. It will rarely fail you.

XJade said:
If you do a search you will find an abundance of info on how to calibrate the TPS. Not sure if the 89 needs adjusting or not. My 87 did but I'm not sure what I did with the document I created with the info. I got the info from this forum btw. If I find it I'll PM you.

Search is good food. It will rarely fail you.

The 89's TPS definetly needs adjusting. It's done with a volt meter with the key on and engine off. Also be advised there are two different ones. One for a standard transmission model and another for a automatic transmission.

JoBo

Back