• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can getting new tires effect the alignment?

BlackBetty99

NAXJA Forum User
I took my 99 XJ with 3" lift in to get a new set of tires mounted and balanced. After I left the shop everything was all out of whack. The steering wheel is turned 1/4 of the way to the right when going straight, the entire front axle is moved an inch towards the passenger side, and the toe out is way out. I have painted the entire steering and suspension just a week ago and can't tell they turned any bolts or beat on anything, is there anything they could of done to cause this? Would unloading the suspension do it? How can the track be so far off?

Hey first post.
I could see the steering wheel being off, the other complaints seem odd.
If everything was marked you would probably​ notice if they tried to align it.
Where did u take it for tires?
I'm on vacation now. So bored.

Doing tires will not knock out the alignment. Either they knock it out of alignment on purpose to try to get your business or the tire jockey did not put use the lift. He ran a couple of floor jacks under the front axle and away he went not watching where he was jacking up. The couple of budget tire store roll floor jacks under and away they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exact same size tires. I installed a new track bar last week and drove it everyday with no track problems until after I got the new tires. Now I think I need to either get an adjustable track bar or relocate the axle side mount. I can do the home brew alignment for now but can't go to a pro for a couple days. Tires were 3/4 an inch wider in the front than the back, way off.

Alright, I am back in line. Relocated the track bar mount and did the homebrew alignment. Super confident with my job, triple checked all measurements and straightened the steering wheel. I will road test her in the daylight, wish me luck!

Putting 31's on a 3" lift will shift the axle over about 1", and when it moves, the steering wheel will also.

It did on mine anyways.......

The track bar holds axle horizontal position. Putting on taller or wider tires won't change anything with the track bar! Taller/wider tires alone will also not change steering wheel position.

Now, a lift will change the horizontal position of the axle relative to the body. This is why track bar relocation brackets or adjustable track bars. Heck, the horizontal position of the axle changes as the axle cycles through bumps as well. That is why you want your track bar and drag link to be parallel...to eliminate bump steer.

The track bar holds axle horizontal position. Putting on taller or wider tires won't change anything with the track bar! Taller/wider tires alone will also not change steering wheel position.

Now, a lift will change the horizontal position of the axle relative to the body. This is why track bar relocation brackets or adjustable track bars. Heck, the horizontal position of the axle changes as the axle cycles through bumps as well. That is why you want your track bar and drag link to be parallel...to eliminate bump steer.

Agree with some of what you say....

1) I thought the lift went on WITH the tires....

2) if the track bar is going or marginal, the bigger/wider tires can finish it in short order, and that WILL cause the issue he had.

I had been using the same track bar for years, and I went up in tire size/width (no lift change), and suddenly had death wobble starting....put in a new track bar, problem solved.

In full agreement w/ TRCM on this, except for point #1.
I was under the impression the lift was existing.
Maybe op could clarify, maybe miss something.
Either way I think general consensus is, there's​ something wrong w/ the track bar. Hmmmm

Back