• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant sensor/idle problem

Precious88xj

NAXJA Forum User
1988 Jeep xj 4.0 4x4 aw4

So I recently swapped in a high output motor and forgot to install the coolant sensor that mounts to the motor on the renix. I kept my electrical system from the renix. Would that cause me a rough idle I don’t have it connected?
Also I won’t be able to install it to it’s original location can I adapt it to the water outlet where the temp sensor goes located for the H.O

The one in the head is for the gauge and nothing else. Check your ignition system, air filter, EGR valve, etc.

I think Renix has a knock sensor in the block, that would make sense.

1988 Jeep xj 4.0 4x4 aw4

So I recently swapped in a high output motor and forgot to install the coolant sensor that mounts to the motor on the renix. I kept my electrical system from the renix. Would that cause me a rough idle I don’t have it connected?
Also I won’t be able to install it to it’s original location can I adapt it to the water outlet where the temp sensor goes located for the H.O

Are you referring to the sensor in the back of the engine or the one at the front? They both serve different purposes.

The one in the side of the block is important if that is what you’re referring to. If there are no provisions for it on the new motor I don’t see why it wouldn’t work in the thermostat housing like on later models.

Back