• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Johnny Joint replacement for 1.5" bushing?

burntkat

NAXJA Member #1145
Title says most of it... I need a Johnny joint to go where a 1.5" bushing did. Is there such a thing?

No. Like in a 1.5" bushing shell

Need more info. Width? Is 1.5” the bushing OD? What bolt size? What’s the application? They make press in Johnny joints for the axle side upper control arm mounts. Not sure the size though

Bushings are press in, hard joints are not. The bushing sleeve will not have any kind of a lip to secure (snap ring) something like a JJ.

Which is why there are hard joints which are basically built into a shell. The Johnny joints made by Currie for upper axle bushings are an example - and are unfortunately too big.

I'm trying to retrofit a Johnny joint into an Iron Rock Offroad trackbar (frame end) . The ID of the bushing is approx 1-1/2", and approx 1-1/4" wide. The mounting flanges that this fits into are 1.6" wide - a narrow Johnny joint fits in perfectly, as it measured 1-5/8 mounting width. I'd gladly use that joint, but it's in a RE trackbar that I'm using with the IRO mount on another rig. Unfortunately, the RE bar is a 3/4" thread into the bar, and this is FAR too small to fit the IRO bar.

IRO makes a retrofit bushing the will fit this assembly in place of their rubber bushing. That's fine but I'd rather stick with the known quantity of JJ for this application. I like to standardize things as much as possible across my rigs. IRO seems to make a good product but I don't want to be stuck with an unsourcable part when it comes time to service this.

Of course some folks are asking why I don't just use the existing rubber bushing, especially since it's brand new. Very simple - it's not doing the damn job. I have motion between the trackbar and bracket. Yes they are all IRO parts. Yes they are properly torqued.

Honestly, if I could just get a straight answer from someone on the damn thread pitch for the IRO bar where the bushing assembly screws in, that would simplify this. I called them three times and they either tell me they will call back when the tech guys get back from lunch (hell of a long lunch, I guess!) or they go into a spiel about their special rotational joint which is designed just for this problem. Ffs, just answer my question IRO. I guess I'll just have to get the micrometer out and identify the threads myself... And hope there is a forged rod end version of the JJ they is compatible.

Unfortunately it snowed here Tuesday, and it's still in the ground. Snow. For a week. In Charleston! Wtf? ;)

Need more info. Width? Is 1.5” the bushing OD? What bolt size? What’s the application? They make press in Johnny joints for the axle side upper control arm mounts. Not sure the size though

Yes, IRO makes one as well, but they are a 2" mounting width. Anything press in has the joint shell. He is not going to be able to find something small enough to press into another shell.

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/upper-control-arm-flex-joint-8-bolt-10mm-cartridge.html

So another question to greatly simplify this -

Does anyone know what threading the IRO XJ trackbar uses?

Are you absolutely certain of this? Because I found this in their website after a little inspired googling...
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/double-shear-track-bar-upgrade-male-end.html

This states it's an M22 thread.
If you're certain it's a 7/8-14, I'll buy a skinny JJ rod end of that thread right now... But I don't want to waste $60 if you're not certain.... I'll post the kit it's going into in a moment.

As an aside, pretty sure the narrow JJ's are 2" mounting width. So while you can find that thread, you will not likely find one for the width you need.

I literally have one in hand. It's 1.6" mount width.

Thanks for the help and putting up with my frustration. I guess it's time to get out my micrometer and pull some major and minor diameters off the thread.

OK, I'm curious, how are you so sure?

Thanks again!

My eyeballs. You do not have this end on your TB.

Double%20shear%20male%20end_800x517.jpg

You have this end.

TB%20male%20end_800x579.jpg

My eyeballs. You do not have this end on your TB.

Double%20shear%20male%20end_800x517.jpg

You have this end.

TB%20male%20end_800x579.jpg

Concur, and what's on the truck bears that out. But let's be honest, they could weld either in place and sometimes there are manufacturing changes in a line that don't necessarily mean what you see is what you get.

Ordering a Currie forged joint assembly now.. In 7/8-14.

Back